I am having a problem with NFC not working on my S5 with Vodafone (UK). Vodafone are absolutely useless when it comes to troubleshooting and I'm turning here for help.

So far, I have done the following:

• switched on NFC in settings
    • Obtained a new NFC SIM from Vodafone
    • Restored my handset to factory settings

If I put my SIM in another NFC enabled phone it works, so I have discounted a fault with the SIM. I presume it's therefore either a hardware of firmware issue.

Having done some research online, it seems that the NFC chip is stored in the battery. Could replacing my battery potentially solve the issue?
    03-21-2016 04:18 AM
    Having done some research online, it seems that the NFC chip is stored in the battery. Could replacing my battery potentially solve the issue?
    No and yes. The chip is stored in the phone - the battery is just the antenna for it. It is entirely possible that your NFC works, but the battery is not genuine (?) and therefore does not contain the antenna (or the proper one).

If you can get your hands on a definitely genuine S5 battery, it will have the proper NFC innards and will determine if it's the chip on your phone. In that case, you will need to get it serviced if you want to use it.
    03-21-2016 05:35 AM
    My battery is a genuine Samsung battery (and came with the handset). However, I just swapped my battery for my colleagues (who also owns an S5) and NFC worked!

Looks like it's an issue with the battery. Will order a new one and report back.
    can3gxw likes this.
    03-21-2016 05:58 AM