Software Updates.

naresh bathula

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site
Why the Samsung flagship smartphones are not receive early software updates compare to the other smartphones.. Am full disappointed with this... SM G900H.

Posted via the Android Central App

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Why the Samsung flagship smartphones are not receive early software updates compare to the other smartphones.. Am full disappointed with this... SM G900H.

The Samsung Galaxy S5 is almost 2 years old now and Marshmallow will go to the S7 and then the S6 before the S5. Also, you have the non 4G/LTE Exynos octa core minority variant which is only sold in a limited market as opposed to the 4G/LTE Qualcomm quad core models that are worldwide. Therefore, Samsung tend to push out updates to those first. See 42 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide

amar7

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
I have the G900-F LTE/4G variant and still on android 5.0, am disappointed too tbh. In my opinion androids policy needs improvement generally as a multi-device OS like Windows, they should change their policy to offer manufacturer independent direct updates, at least for security updates and bug fixes.

rokemsokem

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
The Samsung Galaxy S5 is almost 2 years old now...

This right here is exactly why I'll never again purchase another Samsung product. Ever. The term Flagship doesn't really mean anything at all. It's just a catch phrase. S5 is less than a couple of dozen months old and this will likely be the last update to its android operating system it ever gets based solely upon the casual whim of a third party like Samsung although it remains a very modern and quite capable piece of technology. And it'll be lucky to receive any of those so called monthly security patches that they promised either unless you have an international version. None of these so called monthly security patches have ever once shown up on my S5, btw. Not once.

I wish Google would just step in and create an infrastructure/system where they and only they can distribute and service android. These phone manufacturers and carriers have quite a little enterprise going on between themselves in that they are purposefully impeding any regular and critical maintence and service to the android operating system itself in order to sell new phones with an updated os. Each relying on the other to keep the gig going. It is no irony that the two year carrier contracts run consistent with the two year end of support bainwashing that these phone manufacturers feed to consumers as the normal support cycle of the technology.

Only real way to receive any critical support and regular maintenence from the maker of the os for your android device after a couple of dozen months go by following the purchase is to buy Nexus. Or just migrate to Apple. Even Microsoft with their Windows phones do a better job at demonstrating regard for their customers by making sure their devices continue to receive the critical updates that they need.

Once I know for sure that my very modern and quite capable S5 will finally be blocked by Samsung from ever receiving any kind of maintenance and support for the android operating system it came with , I'm moving to either Apple or Nexus. Samsung can pack sand and find another sucker.

Last edited:

Feldon

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
I have the G900-F LTE/4G variant and still on android 5.0
That is puzzling. I thought the "F" version could be updated at will?

I certainly warn anyone considering a Samsung phone that they will be behind on updates by many months or up to a year, and that they will be SOL after a ridiculously short time like 2-3 years. It does seem like we'll be getting Marshmallow (6.0) on the AT&T Samsung S5, it will just take another 6 months or so.

Unfortunately Google's only solution thus far is to shrink down AOSP to almost nothing and put everything in the Play Services app, and then come out with a Nexus phone every year. My next phone will probably be the Nexus 5X or 6P.

Failure2Comply

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
This too will most likely be my last Samsung phone, I have had the S3, Note 3, Note 4, and now the S5. Having to beg the manufacturer for OS updates is ridiculous. I also have the HTC One M8 which is just as old and it is running 6.0, if only the Nexus 5x had more storage available I would have one.

Feldon

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
I guess we could twiddle our thumbs til October and see if the 2016 Nexus is a contender or a pretender.

The removal of SD cards from last year's Nexus phones coinciding with the addition of Adoptive Storage in Marshmallow (which Samsung and LG have intentionally disabled) just shows how much of a left hand/right hand problem Google has.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
To give you an idea in the difference between Apple's update and Samsung's.

Apple is updating to iOS9, all phones from the 4S, released Oct: 2011, to the 6S Plus.

A total of 11 models on 11 firmwares

If Apple push out another 7 updates in the coming year, that will be a total of 77 firmware updates.

Samsung is updating to Marshmallow, Galaxy S5, released Feb: 2014, to S7 (inc: Note, Edge, Edge +)

A total of 8 Galaxy models confirmed so far, and conservatively, around 3,000 firmwares for different CSC and Product codes for both unbranded and carrier branded phones on all variants.

If Samsung push out a similar number of updates, 7, as Apple, for each model, that is a total of 21,000 firmware updates.

(Galaxy S4, Alpha and Note 3 Marshmallow updates TBA)

For more information about phone models, variants, CSC and Product codes, see 42 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide

Last edited:

sayf777

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
What's so difficult to make one csc for continents? I understand them having to answer to us carriers because they full of crap and feel mighty but Samsung pulls a lot of weight in developing markets. Have one 3G and one 4G version for Africa, Middle East, Asia. Carrier-locking is mostly an issue in us from what I've read?

At least they could start in the regions above and instead of having so many software paths to worry about hire some people instead for direct software support for at least their high end devices and in that way they can maybe release updates directly.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
That is where Apple scores with one size, fits all. Samsung offers carrier branded phones and variants and so one model for, say, Canada, has no less than 13 different carrier branded firmwares for its Galaxy S5 Canadian variant. Tiny, Ireland has 5. Each one of those has to be issued as a separate firmware release. Samsung have realised this and have tried to trim the number of models/variants it offers for the S7 and S7 Edge.

Last edited:

Failure2Comply

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
Samsung aught to reach down and grab a set. They are large enough and command enough market share to manage updates the way Apple does. Apple tells the carriers what they will receive and when, not the other way around. The big carriers have no problem dancing to Apple's tune, it would be the same with Samsung. JMHO

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Samsung aught to reach down and grab a set. They are large enough and command enough market share to manage updates the way Apple does. Apple tells the carriers what they will receive and when, not the other way around. The big carriers have no problem dancing to Apple's tune, it would be the same with Samsung. JMHO

Samsung, and other phone manufacturers, are doing exactly what their customers demand.

Their customers are the carriers... not you. If you do not like the phones your carriers offer you, stop buying them. Simple!

Maybe the customers should reach down and grab a set for a change. There is no way that, say, the Europeans would put up with heavily carried branded and modified firmware that have locked down bootloaders and creak under all the carrier bloatware and then receive less than half our updates and only a 1 year warranty and they're not even subsidised any longer. LMAO. :D

Last edited:

Failure2Comply

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
Samsung, and other phone manufacturers, are doing exactly what their customers demand.

Their customers are the carriers... not you. If you do not like the phones your carriers offer you, stop buying them. Simple!

Maybe the customers should reach down and grab a set for a change. There is no way that, say, the Europeans would put up with heavily carried branded and modified firmware that has locked down bootloaders and creaks under all the carrier bloatware and then receive less than half our updates and only a 1 year warranty and they're not even subsidised any longer. LMAO. :D

Thank you for your brilliant insight! LMAO

telrod11

May 8, 2013
Visit site

Maybe the customers should reach down and grab a set for a change. There is no way that, say, the Europeans would put up with heavily carried branded and modified firmware that have locked down bootloaders and creak under all the carrier bloatware and then receive less than half our updates and only a 1 year warranty and they're not even subsidised any longer. LMAO. :D

Exactly why my S5 is my last Samsung product. I will vote with my feet, and the next phone will be a Nexus or a Moto....

amar7

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
Exactly why my S5 is my last Samsung product. I will vote with my feet, and the next phone will be a Nexus or a Moto....

Basically the Nexus, though still not a perfect phone, is the only available solution I'm afraid, if updates are an issue. It is the only solution, incase one handles sensitive data on the phone and would like the latest vulnerability security fixes. Today I recieved another update for my S5 (still 5.0) and Stagefright has been fixed now, months after it being known. Overall my experience with the S5 isn't too bad, but my next phone, if android, will be a Nexus 6p or 7.

edit: worstthing on the Nexus 6p to me is the unchangable battery (talk about planned obsolescense) and also no sdcard slot, no wireless charging, which is a cool feature on the S7 and others.

Last edited:

Failure2Comply

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
Samsung has always been my phone of choice and I think it is a great phone, if they could update them as often as Nexus, I would not look anywhere else. But it is doubtful that my next phone in September will be a Samsung. Although the S7 is one damn fine phone.....delimas, delimas?

Feldon

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
Samsung has always been my phone of choice and I think it is a great phone, if they could update them as often as Nexus, I would not look anywhere else. But it is doubtful that my next phone in September will be a Samsung. Although the S7 is one damn fine phone.....delimas, delimas?
November is when the new Nexii tend to be announced. If they put a great camera and SD card, I'm buying.

Chad Davis2

Apr 2, 2016
Visit site
I'm trying to update my phone to Marshmellow 6.0 but according to the T-Mobile software update thing the build of android lollipop I have has been "modified in an unauthorized way." I never modified this phone at all.
What do I do?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay