So I just got an ATT Galaxy s5

I would like to know how to keep the Fingerprint Unlock Activated (I have it set to lock in 10 minutes of in-activity)
    But turn off the Slide To Unlock (if i turn the phone back on within those 10 minutes - i would like it to go directly to the home screen)
    04-08-2016 01:13 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! What if you use the fingerprint scanner to open the phone within those 10 minutes? Won't that skip the slide to unlock screen?
    04-08-2016 02:33 PM
    Yes it skips the "Slide To Unlock" - but if the screen turns off (within those 10 minutes) - and you turn it back on it makes you swipe the screen to go back to the home screen, and id prefer it to go directly to the home screen
    I currently turned off the fingerprint lock just so it goes directly to the home screen when you press the power or home button... i know it sounds dumb - but i dont like having to swipe the screen every-time i turn the phone on - since i frequently use my phone (typically before the 10 minutes that it would lock)
    04-08-2016 03:13 PM
    Sorry--what I'm not sure of is if you can wake the phone and unlock it at the same time using the fingerprint sensor, which is why I suggested it. This is possible on the Nexus 6P and Honor 5X. On the S5, can you only use the fingerprint sensor after pressing the Power button, then swiping to unlock, then using the sensor?
    04-08-2016 03:49 PM
    There is basically 2 lock screens :::
    1 - requires a fingerprint scan - and i have it set to wait 10 minutes of Complete In-Activity to need to Scan the finger again --(you can change the wait time to whatever)
    2 - if the screen is turned back on Before the Fingerprint Scan is re-activated - it needs you to "simply swipe the Screen" to get back to the home menu -
    I would like to keep #1-On and turn #2-Off ...
    I basically want it to turn on directly to the home screen when powered on ... and locked "needing a fingerprint scan" if I leave my phone sitting somewhere for 10 minutes.
    im pretty cell savvy but i CANNOT seem to bypass this pointless "swipe screen" - screen ... i understand that some people might like it to see if they have any notifications and not be clustered by everything else ,... .but i dont ... im more than likely going to google something or know that i got a text because i heard it ring/see the blinking light.
    04-08-2016 05:01 PM
    Spicybrian, I fully understand everything that you are saying. I don't know where this bug/flaw comes from. But it had never affected any of my phones until my recent upgrade to the Galaxy S7.

Many people are asking how to bypass this annoyance. But for some reason almost everyone responding are responding to something different than the actual problem. Some people are saying turn off lock security as if it's the security.

I have my phone settings to stay away for 5 minutes. I also have it set to lock automatically after it has turned off for 5 minutes. That gives me the similar 10 minutes of inactivity that you have.

Just like you I would prefer to go directly to the application where I was working rather than have to do an extra slide step to get back to where I left off. That has always been the behavior before the GS7 upgrade.

That extra step also appears if the screen locks. So it really doesn't appear to have anything to do with the lock screen and security. It's appear to be something just thrown in to make the user perform more work, for some reason.

I can't imagine what logic a developer would have to make the user have to do that extra step. There is a chance that this could be addressed and possible fixed if people could focus on it. But again, most of the responses are only focused on things like turning off security or adding more time before the screen turns off. It appears that most of the people responding haven't experienced this bug yet... or don't understand what is being described.

I always thought it was something that was inadvertently built into the GS7 which I was hoping would be fixed when the developers realized that it was unwanted and didn't serve a useful purpose. But from this message and a few others it appears that it's also affecting the GS5. So it might be something that is in the actual Android OS upgrade.

Hopefully someone in the know will identify where it's coming from so that it can quicker become addressed and resolved... at least address where it can be turned off.

L. D. James
    04-17-2016 08:20 AM