06-04-2016 08:52 AM
79 1234
tools
    Thats good.........but when ????

ps Ironass, probably been asked before, but where does all your info come from :-)
    04-30-2016 05:06 AM
    Thats good.........but when ????
    Bearing in mind that the unbranded U.K. Galaxy S5 model, BTU, received a brief update to Marshmallow about 3 months ago. See, here. I would expect the Samsung R&D guys to maybe incorporate a May security patch, (if it is important enough), in the next release and get it out in the next 10 days or so.

ps Ironass, probably been asked before, but where does all your info come from :-)
    04-30-2016 06:09 AM
    04-30-2016 06:24 AM
    AAANNNNDDD... Marshmallows are falling from the sky here in Canada. All over the place. Currently downloading this gooey 819.32 MB file...
    ironass likes this.
    05-02-2016 04:38 AM
    Here's the info in case you want it, @ironass. Currently installing at 49% - going very quickly...

Marshmallow releases for Galaxy S5-screenshot_2016-05-02-06-38-55.png
    ironass likes this.
    05-02-2016 04:43 AM
    It's May Day, bank holiday, here in the U.K. so I haven't been checking today.

Usually, on the Canadian regional model, G900W8, all the carrier firmwares are updated en masse. What security patch are you now on can3gxw?
    05-02-2016 05:37 AM
    What security patch are you now on
    April 2, 2016

AP: G900W8VLUDPD3
    CP: G900W8VLUDPD3
    CSC: G900W8OYA1DPD3
    Changelist: 7722359

Should note also that this is version 6.0.1 (in case anyone wants to know).
    ironass and rokemsokem like this.
    05-02-2016 06:22 AM
    Hm. Well, good to see it out for Telus, at least. Mine is FMC so likely still won't see it for months yet.

The thought had crossed my mind to just change my CSC and flash the Telus one but if I'm going to flash a different firmware I may as well flash the G900f international version onto it.

Ahh, decisions, decisions, decisions...

Anyway, thanks.
    05-02-2016 03:36 PM
    April 2, 2016

AP: G900W8VLUDPD3
    CP: G900W8VLUDPD3
    CSC: G900W8OYA1DPD3
    Changelist: 7722359

Should note also that this is version 6.0.1 (in case anyone wants to know).
    How much bloatware is on your build if I may ask? If I'm not mistaken, Telus doesn't usually load it up like other Canadian carriers like Rogers and their affiliates. I think the reason that the slower carriers take so long to release updates is because of all of the junk they load the phone up with. Given that I don't even live in Canada, I'd rather have the least amount of junk that I'll never use as possible. I'd like to install the Canadian firmware with the last amount of junk if I'm going to install the Canadian firmware update at all. Thanks.

Edit - nevermind. I forgot you're using Bell. I don't know why I thought Telus.
    05-02-2016 04:55 PM
    More Marshmallow releases for the global, G900F, model....

Austria (T-Mobile)
    Austria (Telering)
    Romania (Cosmote)
    Croatia (T-Mobile)
    Greece (Cosmote)
    Macedonia (T-Mobile)
    Slovakia
    Hungary (T-Mobile)
    Netherlands (T-Mobile)
    Czech Republic (T-Mobile)
    Montenegro
    Spain (Vodafone)

Also, as mentioned above, there are Marshmallow releases for the Canadian regional model, G900W8...

Canada (Virgin)
    Canada (Telus)
    Canada (Videotron)
    Canada (SaskTel)
    Canada (Wind Mobile)
    Canada (Bell)
    Canada (Koodo Mobile)
    Canada (East Link)

More rolling out as I type.
    rokemsokem likes this.
    05-03-2016 12:51 AM

Canada (Virgin)
    Canada (Telus)
    Canada (Videotron)
    Canada (SaskTel)
    Canada (Wind Mobile)
    Canada (Bell)
    Canada (Koodo Mobile)

Dang. No FMC. I knew they'd be last.

05-03-2016 02:04 AM
    How much bloatware is on your build if I may ask?
    IMO, there isn't a lot of bloat on my firmware, and yes I'm on Bell. I've got the usual stuff that carriers want me to use, like Flipboard, Push-To-Talk (this is a subscription service on Bell) and a couple of other small apps, but overall I'm pretty happy with how lean it is. I just disable those because I will never use them.

One other app is "Bell Mobile TV" - this updated and brought the app to over 65MB. I just disabled it and now it shows a paltry 44k. I'm not rooted (don't really want to). Overall, I've disabled 5 apps. The rest are Google and my "regular" stuff.

I am currently, now, sitting with 10.51GB used out of my 16GB with those apps disabled.
    rokemsokem likes this.
    05-03-2016 07:58 AM
    IMO, there isn't a lot of bloat on my firmware, and yes I'm on Bell. I've got the usual stuff that carriers want me to use, like Flipboard, Push-To-Talk (this is a subscription service on Bell) and a couple of other small apps, but overall I'm pretty happy with how lean it is. I just disable those because I will never use them.

One other app is "Bell Mobile TV" - this updated and brought the app to over 65MB. I just disabled it and now it shows a paltry 44k. I'm not rooted (don't really want to). Overall, I've disabled 5 apps. The rest are Google and my "regular" stuff.

I am currently, now, sitting with 10.51GB used out of my 16GB with those apps disabled
    Oh, okay. Thanks for feedback. That isn't too much, I agree. Seems like Rogers is really the only Canadian carrier that loads them full of bloat from what I've read.

This Fido one that I have that's still on 5.1.1 only has a couple of little bloatware apps, too. Like the My Account app and maybe 2 other little ones that have since been discontinued anyway. I think I have 9gb free of the internal 16gb. Of course, then, I have a 200gb sd card in the slot, too, so I'm good in terms of space. I guess I'll just wait for Fido to release its own formware. I'm not rooted either

Off topic, but I was just reading the Rogers forum and their customers are peeved about not getting their S6 and Note 5 updates yet. I haven't seen many complaints about the S5 update not being released over there, though.

Thanks again.
    can3gxw likes this.
    05-03-2016 10:57 AM
    All the Philippines firmwares are carrier branded, Globe, Open Line, Sun Cellular and Smart. So it depends on them.
    Nope. The Open Line firmware is the unlocked one.
    05-03-2016 11:05 AM
    I am currently, now, sitting with 10.51GB used out of my 16GB with those apps disabled.
    I think I have 9gb free of the internal 16gb.
    Stock unbranded firmware for the international, G900F, model has 12GB free, (11,980.86MB), for internal storage on Marshmallow. Just thought I'd mention it. I'll get me coat!
    can3gxw likes this.
    05-03-2016 11:25 AM
    Stock unbranded firmware for the international, G900F, model has 12GB free, (11,980.86MB), for internal storage on Marshmallow.
    Curious... It would be interesting to try and do a file for file comparison of each device to see where the bits are being consumed... This is why people want to get external SD cards.
    05-03-2016 11:37 AM
    I think I have 9gb free of the internal 16gb
    Huh? Then you're much less bloated than I am... I mean... your phone, that is... Maybe I just have too many apps installed that are taking up my space...

Anyone with any ideas on how to unequivocally find out what's using the space, and on a very granular level?

edit: Just downloaded "DiskUsage" from the Play Store - turns out that I'm using 5.6GB just for apps, probably about 3GB (maybe more) from things that I have installed including all of the Google apps.

This is also after a total app restore from my FDR last night.
    05-03-2016 11:39 AM
    Huh? Then you're much less bloated than I am... I mean... your phone, that is... Maybe I just have too many apps installed that are taking up my space...

Anyone with any ideas on how to unequivocally find out what's using the space, and on a very granular level?

edit: Just downloaded "DiskUsage" from the Play Store - turns out that I'm using 5.6GB just for apps, probably about 3GB (maybe more) from things that I have installed including all of the Google apps.

This is also after a total app restore from my FDR last night.
    Yeah, I only have a small handful of apps downloaded. The Startpage Search app, CCleaner, Adblock Browser, Barcode Scanner, Phone Info, Stagefright Detector, Polaris office and a live galaxy wallpaper. I like to see the galaxy swirling around there on my screen. I had Asphalt 8 on there but I kept crashing into stuff so I uninstalled that.

Of course, I've disabled a few Google apps that I don't use, too. So that saves space on the device drive itself.

I largely just use my phone for web browsing, email, phone calls and texting anyway.
    05-03-2016 12:02 PM
    Stock unbranded firmware for the international, G900F, model has 12GB free, (11,980.86MB), for internal storage on Marshmallow. Just thought I'd mention it. I'll get me coat!
    Heh. This guy.

What firmware are you using anyway? Reason I ask is because I know that you can flash G900F firmware onto a W8. It's the same unit, really, aside from the W8 modem. Is it the UK version you're using?
    05-03-2016 12:07 PM
    If, as can3gxw has done, you install DiskUsage, free from the Play Store, and select, "Storage card", (it is labelled that in spite of the fact it is internal memory), then under, "Storage card", it will show you how much free space you had after the OS was installed. That OS will include the carrier bloatware, etc; and disabling it will not gain you any more space as the phone has already been partitioned to accommodate it. The only thing disabling will do is to stop the app running and creating any files in the, "free", space. It seems that the OS on can3gxw's phone is about 1.5GB larger than mine. This, obviously, cuts down on the available space for storage on the phone, initially.

Heh. This guy.

What firmware are you using anyway? Reason I ask is because I know that you can flash G900F firmware onto a W8. It's the same unit, really, aside from the W8 modem. Is it the UK version you're using?
    The nice thing about the G900F model is that there are about 200 firmwares, worldwide, to choose from. Having been on Marshmallow on my unbranded U.K. model, for about 3 months now. I decided that in lieu of a more recent update for the U.K., (which is imminent), I would flash the latest unbranded firmware release for the Netherlands, yesterday. This has an English language pack, (all Samsung firmwares, do), this poses no problem for me. It means I can hop from latest release worldwide, to the next latest release.

You could flash a U.K. firmware, or any other G900F firmware, and then root your phone and install a custom recovery. Then you would need to extract the modem from the Canadian model and turn it into a custom recovery flashable .zip file. The only caveat is that usually the modem needs to be compatible with the firmware platform... i.e. Marshmallow platform -> Marshmallow modem. This would be something for competent and experienced flashers.
    05-03-2016 12:20 PM
    Disk Usage says I have 8231mb free of 11839mb of total storge space. My apps are 2823mb. So, then, a little over 4000 mb of locked down space for the OS is being used, I suppose.

But, yeah, I'm not tinkering with flashing a W8 modem and whatnot to put 900F firmware on mine. I might tinker with it down the road, though, once I get another phone just to have something to tinker with. As you mention, that's more for the experienced end user. Which, admittedly, I'm not.
    05-03-2016 01:55 PM
    Yeah - I'm looking closer at my DiskUsage now - I too show 11839 MB of total storage space - apps take up 5674 MB, System Data taking 816 MB leaving 5315 MB for me.
    05-03-2016 02:35 PM
    Yeah, so just your apps, then. Plus you have Marshmallow, too. I'm still using Lollipop. I don't know how much larger Marshmallow is than Lollipop. Likely not much. Anyway, let's go get our coats, too, man, Heh.

I wonder what the results would yield for the poor souls using Verizon and AT&T and other American (U.S.) models. Those things are likely loaded up to the max leaving very little space for the end user.

I'm really liking this W8 that I'm using here in the U.S. I think it has like 8 or 9 bands. I've got full bars and fast LTE at all times. Around 40mb DL speed consistently on the AT&T network.
    can3gxw likes this.
    05-03-2016 02:47 PM
    The unbranded U.K. model, G900F, on Product Code BTU has received an update to Android 6.0.1, Marshmallow, and sports the Google Security patch for May.

Model SM-G900F
    Model name GALAXY S5
    Country United Kingdom
    Version Android 6.0.1
    Changelist 7182592
    Build date Tue, 03 May 2016 08:36:02 +0000
    Product code BTU
    PDA G900FXXU1CPE1
    CSC G900FOXA1CPE1

As per post #27, above...

Bearing in mind that the unbranded U.K. Galaxy S5 model, BTU, received a brief update to Marshmallow about 3 months ago. See, here. I would expect the Samsung R&D guys to maybe incorporate a May security patch, (if it is important enough), in the next release and get it out in the next 10 days or so.
    05-16-2016 03:53 AM
    The lightly branded U.K. model, G900F, for O2 on Product Code O2U has received an update to Android 6.0.1, Marshmallow. This older build is still on the April security patch.

Model SM-G900F
    Model name GALAXY S5
    Country United Kingdom (O2)
    Version Android 6.0.1
    Changelist 7182592
    Build date Tue, 05 Apr 2016 06:40:19 +0000
    Product code O2U
    PDA G900FXXU1CPD3
    CSC G900FO2U1CPD2

Releases also for the dual sim model, G900FD, for...

United Arab Emirates
    Russia

Also for the Latin America models, G900M and G900MD, for...

Brazil
    05-17-2016 04:51 AM
79 1234