Marshmallow releases for Galaxy S5

lgossin

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
forgive my ignorance, does that mean when I am ready to upgrade my S5 I could get a global S7 and it would work on Verizon in the US? My 17 month old S5 has pretty severe screen burn in. Otherwise it has been pretty good. Really appreciate this forum and especially Ironass' helpful advice

SM-900V
RU2BP1
2016-02-01 Security
Verizon :( for updates, Verizon of coverage:)

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
forgive my ignorance, does that mean when I am ready to upgrade my S5 I could get a global S7 and it would work on Verizon in the US? My 17 month old S5 has pretty severe screen burn in. Otherwise it has been pretty good. Really appreciate this forum and especially Ironass' helpful advice

SM-900V
RU2BP1
2016-02-01 Security
Verizon :( for updates, Verizon of coverage:)

Unfortunately, no. Verizon, Sprint, C-Spire and U.S. Cellular still use the old CDMA network and not the the worldwide standard GSM. If it were not for Verizon or China Telecom, Samsung would not even issue a CDMA model of phone.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Thats good.........but when ????

Bearing in mind that the unbranded U.K. Galaxy S5 model, BTU, received a brief update to Marshmallow about 3 months ago. See, here. I would expect the Samsung R&D guys to maybe incorporate a May security patch, (if it is important enough), in the next release and get it out in the next 10 days or so.

ps Ironass, probably been asked before, but where does all your info come from :)

can3gxw

Trusted Member
Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
AAANNNNDDD... Marshmallows are falling from the sky here in Canada. All over the place. Currently downloading this gooey 819.32 MB file...

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
It's May Day, bank holiday, here in the U.K. so I haven't been checking today.

Usually, on the Canadian regional model, G900W8, all the carrier firmwares are updated en masse. What security patch are you now on can3gxw?

can3gxw

Trusted Member
Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
What security patch are you now on

April 2, 2016

AP: G900W8VLUDPD3
CP: G900W8VLUDPD3
CSC: G900W8OYA1DPD3
Changelist: 7722359

Should note also that this is version 6.0.1 (in case anyone wants to know).

Last edited:

rokemsokem

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
Hm. Well, good to see it out for Telus, at least. Mine is FMC so likely still won't see it for months yet.

The thought had crossed my mind to just change my CSC and flash the Telus one but if I'm going to flash a different firmware I may as well flash the G900f international version onto it.

Ahh, decisions, decisions, decisions...

Anyway, thanks.

rokemsokem

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
April 2, 2016

AP: G900W8VLUDPD3
CP: G900W8VLUDPD3
CSC: G900W8OYA1DPD3
Changelist: 7722359

Should note also that this is version 6.0.1 (in case anyone wants to know).

How much bloatware is on your build if I may ask? If I'm not mistaken, Telus doesn't usually load it up like other Canadian carriers like Rogers and their affiliates. I think the reason that the slower carriers take so long to release updates is because of all of the junk they load the phone up with. Given that I don't even live in Canada, I'd rather have the least amount of junk that I'll never use as possible. I'd like to install the Canadian firmware with the last amount of junk if I'm going to install the Canadian firmware update at all. Thanks.

Edit - nevermind. I forgot you're using Bell. I don't know why I thought Telus.

Last edited:

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
More Marshmallow releases for the global, G900F, model....

Austria (T-Mobile)
Austria (Telering)
Romania (Cosmote)
Croatia (T-Mobile)
Greece (Cosmote)
Macedonia (T-Mobile)
Slovakia
Hungary (T-Mobile)
Netherlands (T-Mobile)
Czech Republic (T-Mobile)
Montenegro
Spain (Vodafone)

Also, as mentioned above, there are Marshmallow releases for the Canadian regional model, G900W8...

Canada (Virgin)
Canada (Telus)
Canada (Videotron)
Canada (SaskTel)
Canada (Wind Mobile)
Canada (Bell)
Canada (Koodo Mobile)
Canada (East Link)

More rolling out as I type. :):):)

Last edited:

rokemsokem

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
Canada (Virgin)
Canada (Telus)
Canada (Videotron)
Canada (SaskTel)
Canada (Wind Mobile)
Canada (Bell)
Canada (Koodo Mobile)

Dang. No FMC. I knew they'd be last.

qHVP5OQ.png

can3gxw

Trusted Member
Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
How much bloatware is on your build if I may ask?

IMO, there isn't a lot of bloat on my firmware, and yes I'm on Bell. I've got the usual stuff that carriers want me to use, like Flipboard, Push-To-Talk (this is a subscription service on Bell) and a couple of other small apps, but overall I'm pretty happy with how lean it is. I just disable those because I will never use them.

One other app is "Bell Mobile TV" - this updated and brought the app to over 65MB. I just disabled it and now it shows a paltry 44k. I'm not rooted (don't really want to). Overall, I've disabled 5 apps. The rest are Google and my "regular" stuff.

I am currently, now, sitting with 10.51GB used out of my 16GB with those apps disabled.

rokemsokem

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
IMO, there isn't a lot of bloat on my firmware, and yes I'm on Bell. I've got the usual stuff that carriers want me to use, like Flipboard, Push-To-Talk (this is a subscription service on Bell) and a couple of other small apps, but overall I'm pretty happy with how lean it is. I just disable those because I will never use them.

One other app is "Bell Mobile TV" - this updated and brought the app to over 65MB. I just disabled it and now it shows a paltry 44k. I'm not rooted (don't really want to). Overall, I've disabled 5 apps. The rest are Google and my "regular" stuff.

I am currently, now, sitting with 10.51GB used out of my 16GB with those apps disabled

Oh, okay. Thanks for feedback. That isn't too much, I agree. Seems like Rogers is really the only Canadian carrier that loads them full of bloat from what I've read.

This Fido one that I have that's still on 5.1.1 only has a couple of little bloatware apps, too. Like the My Account app and maybe 2 other little ones that have since been discontinued anyway. I think I have 9gb free of the internal 16gb. Of course, then, I have a 200gb sd card in the slot, too, so I'm good in terms of space. I guess I'll just wait for Fido to release its own formware. I'm not rooted either

Off topic, but I was just reading the Rogers forum and their customers are peeved about not getting their S6 and Note 5 updates yet. I haven't seen many complaints about the S5 update not being released over there, though.

Thanks again.

Last edited: