My Galaxy s5 with latest updates as of today Apr 21 2016. Google Chrome browser app is using 1.8 Gig of space. Leaves only 2Gig of device storage out of 16 Gig.

How do I reduce the amount of storage that Chrome is commandeering? I don't want to lose any website passwords that are being stored by Chrome. I don't want to lose any of my bookmarks.

Chrome is synced in some way with Chrome browser on my old winXP laptop - I don't know if that has to do with the issue of the phone app taking up so much space.
    04-21-2016 10:53 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! Is it Cache or Data? Go to the App Manager, select Chrome, and check its storage usage there. If it's mostly cache, you can clear that without losing any personal data--but be aware that in its normal usage, the cache will build up again.
    04-21-2016 12:48 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! Is it Cache or Data? Go to the App Manager, select Chrome, and check its storage usage there. If it's mostly cache, you can clear that without losing any personal data--but be aware that in its normal usage, the cache will build up again.
    It is 1.72GB of data.
    04-21-2016 01:27 PM
    P.S. I don't know why my original post says it's from AC Question?
    04-21-2016 01:29 PM
    If you asked the question while not logged in, it can show up as "AC Question."

If you have Chrome set up to sync with your Google account, then you can Clear Data from Chrome, because when you open it again, it should sync again with your Google account, including your bookmarks. Unless you have any bookmarks that are only locally saved--but I think in Chrome, even the Mobile Bookmarks get synced to the cloud.
    04-21-2016 03:42 PM

If you have Chrome set up to sync with your Google account, then you can Clear Data from Chrome, because when you open it again, it should sync again with your Google account, including your bookmarks. Unless you have any bookmarks that are only locally saved--but I think in Chrome, even the Mobile Bookmarks get synced to the cloud.
    I'd like to verify that mobile bookmarks won't be lost.

Also, I want to know just what chrome is storing for 1.72 gig of data! ?!
    04-21-2016 06:59 PM
    I just tried it myself, and after logging back into my Google account with Chrome, all bookmarks sync back, including the ones in the Mobile Bookmarks folder.
    04-21-2016 07:51 PM
    How do I reduce the amount of storage that Chrome is commandeering? I don't want to lose any website passwords that are being stored by Chrome. I don't want to lose any of my bookmarks.

Chrome is synced in some way with Chrome browser on my old winXP laptop
    I would make sure that you are logged into the most recent version of Chrome that you can get for your laptop and make sure it's syncing. Then I'd seriously look at a password manager such as Lastpass, 1Pass, or Keypass.
    04-21-2016 10:03 PM
    In the phone's Chrome Browser, go to... Menu (3 dots) > Settings > Privacy > Clear browsing data (select which items you wish to clear... Browsing history, Cookies and site data and Cached images and files... and keep, say, Saved passwords and Autofill form data) > Clear data. See how much space this will reclaim for you.
    04-22-2016 05:58 AM
    In the phone's Chrome Browser, go to... Menu (3 dots) > Settings > Privacy > Clear browsing data (select which items you wish to clear... Browsing history, Cookies and site data and Cached images and files... and keep, say, Saved passwords and Autofill form data) > Clear data. See how much space this will reclaim for you.

Not much. Down to 1.69gig.

If I clear data in application manager, will my saved passwords be lost?
    04-22-2016 09:42 AM
    WalkGood, did you ever solve this? I'm having the same issue.
    09-08-2016 05:51 PM