SHORT VERSION:
    Phone had phantom/unresponsive problems, i.e back button pressing itself, lock and home button not working. After my phone died, it will not accept charge, I repeat, my phone will not charge and I have a dead phone.

Full version:
    I took my phone off charge this morning when I woke up like I normally do, but I was prompted with some annoying galaxy update power application thing, I was completely out of it I just wanted to put my head back down and sleep.

Anyway even at this point I noticed problems, I couldn't press the home or back button, and now the lock button wasn't working(to turn off or lock the phone). So I pulled the battery out, and thought I'd deal with it later.

So I woke up several hours later, turned on the phone; same issues.

The back button keeps pressing itself constantly, with no real pattern, and when I press it manually, it works maybe 20% of the time.

The same goes for the home and lock buttons but to a lesser extent, the home button worked maybe 5% of the time, and the lock button worked maybe 50% of the time(and I don't mean if I pressed it twice, it would work 100%, I mean it would just be completely useless for a short amount of time, 50% of the time).

So I googled solutions, deleted my cache, disabled the google app, re-installed it, disabled MyGalaxy etc. I did everything short of factory reset the phone.

Anyway, after giving up and browsing facebook videos(the back button only seemed to phantom press in the browser/general usage of the phone, but not facebook), the phone got to 5% and I went to charge it... Only it wouldn't charge.

So I tried all 3 phone chargers, including hooking it up to my computer and it WILL not charge.

I really don't know what to do here, I bought my phone semi-2nd hand nearly 2 years ago, so I doubt there's any warranty on it, but this phone has my entire life on it, my work, my social life, I NEED it to work in some form.

Has anyone ever heard of such an issue or how to fix it?? I desperately need help. I'll even pay someone like £10/$15 if they help me fix it or just give you my eternal thanks if you don't want money. Please someone help me.
    04-21-2016 01:05 PM
    Touch issues usually spell 'hardware problems', so you might have a deeper issue than just clearing caches/data. But more on that later.

Is there a way that you can get another S5 battery, at least to test? I do remember some people having similar issues with unresponsive buttons right before their batteries went kaput. Replacing the battery fixed the issues. This might be your case.

If that doesn't help (or if your battery works in another S5 and charges fine), then you will need to take the phone to a repair center. It could be a faulty USB port (charging) or something going awry in the motherboard.
    04-21-2016 01:20 PM
    I've just splashed and bought a new official battery, thank you for the suggestion, I wanted to buy a new one anyway, I felt like mine had deteriorated.

Any other suggestions? I really need my phone working by tomorrow.
    04-21-2016 02:52 PM
    You can try backing up your phone using Samsung Kies, but that will need the phone to be turned on (hence the suggestion to try out someone else's battery). You might be able to go to a carrier store or Best Buy and ask them to try their battery in your phone just to check that it will turn on, but not sure if they still carry S5's though.
    04-21-2016 03:31 PM
    It sounds as if the phone has gotten wet inside at some time in the past. All the symptoms you describe can be attributed to water having gotten into it. The phone is certified to resist water (not be waterproof) when submerged - but not when dropped into water, or if water is poured on it.
    SpookDroid likes this.
    04-21-2016 03:58 PM
    I've had this phone 2 years, it's been through all sorts, left in puddles etc, never had a problem, about a month ago though the charging flap broke(rendering it no longer waterproof), so I've kept it well away from water since then, it wasn't subjected to water overnight I know that much, so I don't understand how it would be that.
    04-21-2016 04:25 PM
    If you have AC at home and outside is hot (or viceversa) it might be condensation forming up inside. But first you need to get it to turn on, so you'll need a battery or check that your current battery is still working (if the latter, then the phone needs to go into a repair shop for sure).
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-21-2016 05:20 PM
    I do know you wiped your cache before but does pressing the volume up or down, along with the home button and then power button all together get any response?

Posted via the Android Central App
    04-22-2016 03:38 AM
    I did that yes... while I had battery left.

However it had no affect on the issue, and the battery has since died.
    04-22-2016 11:16 AM
    I've had this phone 2 years, it's been through all sorts, left in puddles etc, never had a problem, about a month ago though the charging flap broke(rendering it no longer waterproof), so I've kept it well away from water since then, it wasn't subjected to water overnight I know that much, so I don't understand how it would be that.
    1. placing it in a puddle doesn't put any pressure on the water, so it meets the specs. It's pouring water on it or dropping it into water that causes pressure, which violates IP67 (which deals with being wet, not having water forced in).

A phone can also get wet by being subjected to temperature extremes. Take it from an air conditioned car into 95° very humid air and the humidity will start to condense all over the inside of the phone. The same thing happens if you take the phone from a warm house into a sub-zero environment (although the humidity is a lot less in that case).

I'm not proposing this as a definite cause, but the phone exhibits all the signs of having gotten wet inside.
    04-22-2016 11:35 AM
    I understand it looks like an issue with it getting wet, but I live in the UK, it's quite cold outside, and a little warmer inside, there's no condensation on windows or any signs of high humidity, not to mention my phone has been in the same conditions for a while now with no issue.
    04-22-2016 12:12 PM
    I'm still 'rooting' for the battery to be the issue. I've seen some posts of people with phones acting wacky right before their batteries died, and once they got new ones, problems went away.
    04-22-2016 12:27 PM
    I'm still 'rooting' for the battery to be the issue. I've seen some posts of people with phones acting wacky right before their batteries died, and once they got new ones, problems went away.
    I really hope you're right, turns out I have insurance anyway, might be able to milk this for a Galaxy S7 hahah. But I want my S5 back
    SpookDroid likes this.
    04-22-2016 12:48 PM
    Oh, if you can get the S7 you'd be happier there haha. But at least be able to turn the S5 on to back anything up.
    04-22-2016 02:54 PM
    Ok as an update, the battery came(pre charged to 25%), everything works with the phone, i.e the back button is working again.

However the phone still DOES NOT CHARGE. I'm not sure where to go from here.
    04-23-2016 05:50 AM
    Have you tried a different charger/cable? What about if you connect your phone to a PC via USB, does it recognize the connection?
    04-23-2016 09:38 AM
    Have you tried a different charger/cable? What about if you connect your phone to a PC via USB, does it recognize the connection?
    Tried many different chargers, including connecting to PC, it doesn't recognise the connection.

Is this a common issue? It's like the bottom of my phone is just ruined internally or something, even with the battery in the back button and home button were not responding properly...

think I might just have to get this sent off to Samsung, is it expensive and is it worth it?
    04-24-2016 12:06 PM
    It depends on what might be wrong... USB port issues aren't too expensive to solve (USB port is about 15 bucks to buy IIRC), but if there's further damage or if it's something else, then it might be more expensive.
    04-25-2016 11:04 AM