Ever since I allowed the upgrade to the Marshmallow O.S. in my Samsung Galaxy 5 to 6.0.1, I've discovered a couple things SO FAR (more to come?).

1st: While swiping, when I hit the clear (delete or back space to some) it's one letter at a time that clears while the previous version would erase the entire word with one press, was sweet.

2nd: I cannot move downloaded apps to the 64 Gb micro SD card I installed. The button had just disappeared. Now this is a huge problem cuz my phone only has 16 GB of internal space and most of that is filled with all the preloaded junk Galaxy installs.

HELP! SOMEONE HELP ME! LOL Really tho, if there's a way, I'd love to hear it. I'll even uninstall the Marshmallow O.S.
    04-26-2016 12:17 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! Does the S5 on MM allow you to format the microSD card as Internal Storage (i.e., Adoptable Storage)? If so, do you know if you did that?

It's also worth wiping the cache partition: http://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-10404
    04-26-2016 04:15 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! Does the S5 on MM allow you to format the microSD card as Internal Storage (i.e., Adoptable Storage)? If so, do you know if you did that?
    Samsung and LG do not allow Adoptable Storage on their phones.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    04-27-2016 08:43 AM
    To be honest, I think that's a good thing. In my opinion, adoptable storage is an accident waiting to happen, what with the relative frequency of card corruption.
    can3gxw and ironass like this.
    04-27-2016 11:28 PM
    To be honest, I think that's a good thing. In my opinion, adoptable storage is an accident waiting to happen, what with the relative frequency of card corruption.
    Exactly this. If you have a phone with a decent (and yes, 16GB is "decent") amount of internal memory then there is no need to have adoptable storage enabled. If you're running a phone with 8GB or less, then sure - get a phone that uses it and put in a GOOD, FAST SD card.

People also need to realize that once you put that card on "adoptable", you can no longer take it out of your phone. Ever. So forget about hooking that up to your computer and taking the photos off, moving big files (movies, music, etc..) - none of that will ever happen again.
    04-28-2016 04:10 AM
    Exactly this. If you have a phone with a decent (and yes, 16GB is "decent") amount of internal memory then there is no need to have adoptable storage enabled. If you're running a phone with 8GB or less, then sure - get a phone that uses it and put in a GOOD, FAST SD card.

People also need to realize that once you put that card on "adoptable", you can no longer take it out of your phone. Ever. So forget about hooking that up to your computer and taking the photos off, moving big files (movies, music, etc..) - none of that will ever happen again.
    Still could've made it an option for those willing to live with the changes.

You'd definitely be able to hook it up to your computer and transfer files with adoptable storage as it works just like the phone's internal storage right?

Posted via the Android Central App
    04-29-2016 04:53 AM
    I realizzed the same issue with swiping and now unfortunately I realized too that the "move to sd" function has been removed ;( I find that sad, because even with 16GB, I used to move large apps to the SD card. Strangely enough, I tried the apps I moved in Android 5.0 with 6.1 and they still work. Is there any way to work around that issue other than using the SD card as a fixed extension?
    04-29-2016 11:48 AM
    Still could've made it an option for those willing to live with the changes.

You'd definitely be able to hook it up to your computer and transfer files with adoptable storage as it works just like the phone's internal storage right?

Yes, you could certainly do that. Just don't ever plan to use your SD card for anything else. Ever.

Coincidentally, here's a great read by the big man himself:

http://m.androidcentral.com/inside-m...ptable-storage

04-29-2016 06:51 PM
    What kind of knockoff SD cards are people buying that they experience corruption with such regularity? In 10 years I've never had an SD card fail on me. I buy Sandisk. *shrug*
    Never assume we have control over the size of our phones. The Samsung S7 is only available in 32GB. In the previous models, there was a $100 markup for 32GB of storage, which is a 90% profit margin. Phone manufacturers think I have "sucker" stamped on my forehead.
    RAIDs have existed for 20 years. Power users understand the concept of conjoined storage. And if they don't, there are plenty of warning messages. No offense to you, but we as a society need to stop with the childproof warnings. IF you're told not to do something and you do it, there are consequences. The card is already formatted and encrypted in a way that's not recognized by Windows or Mac, so they will immediately know something is wrong if they try to use it in a computer. The point is, the last time I checked, the maker of my laptop doesn't restrict me from what I do on SD cards, internal hard drives, etc. on the risk I might make a mistake. Taking away options because someone might make a mistake sounds like a poor reason to take away the option.

Also do people really remove the microSD card from their phone to transfer photos to their PC? Is the 2 minutes removing their phone from their case, fishing out the battery, microSIM, and microSD card, finding their memory card reader, dropping the card and then trying to find it in the pile of the carpet and then plugging that into their card reader more efficient than just using a cable? If Samsung and LG are worried about people removing their microSD card to transfer files, maybe they should stop putting such an anemic microSD controller inside and cheaping out on USB2 ports instead of USB3.

Sorry, none of the arguments against Adoptive Storage are compelling to me.
    thecomicbookandme likes this.
    04-30-2016 03:09 PM
    What kind of knockoff SD cards are people buying that they experience corruption with such regularity? In 10 years I've never had an SD card fail on me. I buy Sandisk. *shrug*
    They don't necessarily have to be knockoffs--it's relatively easy to counterfeit a card and sell it online. I would be suspicious of any card I got from an eBay seller or any other small-time online seller.

I've had cards fail, and so has my wife. And I see a lot of posts here from people who lost important data due to a corrupt card. It's not going to happen to everyone, but there's always a chance. But hey, if you've had good luck, more power to you! (But just keep things backed up.)
    05-01-2016 12:01 AM
    They don't necessarily have to be knockoffs--it's relatively easy to counterfeit a card and sell it online. I would be suspicious of any card I got from an eBay seller or any other small-time online seller.
    SD cards are so incredibly cheap, it's sad that people are risking important photos. Amazon and Best Buy have the new Sandisk 200GB microSD on a ridiculously cheap sale of $80. The Sandisk extreme ultra whizbang plus microSD card is $40 for 64GB. Again if Samsung let me upgrade my $700 phone to more than 32GB for a reasonable price, I'd have no problem, but they want $100-200 more for a few gigs. Samsung doesn't even offer a 64GB model S7 in the US. 32GB only.
    I've had cards fail, and so has my wife. And I see a lot of posts here from people who lost important data due to a corrupt card. It's not going to happen to everyone, but there's always a chance. But hey, if you've had good luck, more power to you! (But just keep things backed up.)
    I'm certainly a believer in backups. I don't have automated backup set beyond Google's pathetic Sync service which gets Contacts and resized Photos and nothing else. I should look at Titanium's premium version.
    05-01-2016 07:23 PM
    I'm fine with Google Photos Auto Backup at the High Quality setting, since I don't take RAW images or anything that requires faithful backup of the original quality photo. I like that I get unlimited storage this way. This will be fine for the vast majority of users, but of course there will be those who really need the full original images backed up, so they'd either have to pay for increased Google Drive storage for Original Quality backups, or use a different cloud backup (or local backup).
    05-01-2016 09:55 PM