Root for Galaxy S5 on Marshmallow

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
The legend that we know as chainfire, has released his CF-Auto-Root kernel for the Galaxy S5 models on Android 6.0.1, Marshmallow.

For details on how to root your Galaxy S5 and download links, go to...

[SM-G900*] CF-Auto-Root

This is for competent and experienced users. Please read all installation instructions, carefully and thoroughly, before proceeding.

This will trip the Knox Security flag and prevent the use of Samsung Pay. Rooting your phone will disable OTA updates and also via Kies/Smart Switch. If you are rooted, you will need to download and flash future updates via Odin.

Here is a short video that shows the rooting process...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xdvl-YBnZHU

ironass motto... "Flash in haste... repent at leisure!" ;)

Last edited:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Root for G900F Marshmallow

You can try the android root app called Kingroot . It is a great app.
KingRoot is a root tool for "lazy people" who just want to get root access but don't want to flash any third party Recovery into their lovely device.
Most rooting methods don't flash a recovery - Kingroot, Towel Root, iRoot - they just root. (Kingroot installs a little Chinese app too.)

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Re: Root for G900F Marshmallow

Added a short video to post #1, that demonstrates the actual rooting process.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Rooting also for the G900i, G900K, G900L, G900M, G900P, G900S, G900T, G900W8 and G901F on Marshmallow added to the link in post #1.

Last edited:

votg

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Ironass, Chainfire, SamMobile, and thisisapoorusernamechoice. For G900T owners if it does not work for you look for [Root][Guide] How to Root SM-G900T, Any Firmware. My Story - "Thanks thisisapoorusernamechoice, my G900T is now rooted. Your way worked for rooting a T-Mobile Galaxy S5 G900T running Marshmallow . I followed Root for Galaxy S5 on Marshmallow on android central with [SM-G900*] CF-Auto-Root on here plus the youtube vid [100%] How to Root Samsung Galaxy S5 All Models Official Marshmallow 6.0.1 Easily. My phone was stuck in the endless reboot loop with Warranty Bit Kernel/Recovery errors. I flashed the latest stock rom from SamMobile - slow download but worth the wait. Everything was back to normal. I was then able to root the phone following your instructions. Thanks"

fjnieto15

Sep 17, 2016
Visit site
My build id is G900FXXU1CPC9 and I can't find it in the CF AutoRoot repositories, which one should I use? If I can't use anyone, how can I root my s5?
Thanks

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
My build id is G900FXXU1CPC9 and I can't find it in the CF AutoRoot repositories, which one should I use? If I can't use anyone, how can I root my s5?
Thanks

Hello and welcome to Android Forums fjnieto15!

Is G900FXXU1CPC9 on Android 5.0, 5.1.1 or 6.0.1?

fjnieto15

Sep 17, 2016
Visit site
Because it is the only one in the chainfire CF-Auto-Root list, here, for the SM-G900F model on Android 6.0.1. ;)

In that list I can find two options and anyone matches my build:

samsung SM-G900F kltexx-klte G900FXXU1CPD3 android 6.0.1
samsung SM-G900F kltezh-klte G900FZHU1CPH3 android 6.0.1

Does the build really matter? I will choose the first option since the build number is the same except for the last two characters but I really don't know why. You told me to use the other one and I also don't know why :confused:

Thanks for the help!

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
In that list I can find two options and anyone matches my build:

samsung SM-G900F kltexx-klte G900FXXU1CPD3 android 6.0.1
samsung SM-G900F kltezh-klte G900FZHU1CPH3 android 6.0.1

Does the build really matter? I will choose the first option since the build number is the same except for the last two characters but I really don't know why. You told me to use the other one and I also don't know why :confused:

Thanks for the help!

Only one is for the XXU Global firmware. The other is for ZHU = Hong Kong. See, #1.8 of 42 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide

fjnieto15

Sep 17, 2016
Visit site
So I should use the XXU one instead of ZHU, isn't it? I think your post was mistaken.

By the way, I've just realized that my AP code is G900FXXS1CPH9 and my CP code is G900FXXU1CPC9. Which one is the XXU referenced in CF AutoRoot? If it is AP code, should I return to XXU then root and then update?

Thanks for the help ironass.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Unless you are using the Hong Kong firmware, ZHU, then the Global, XXU, is the only one available for your model.

fjnieto15

Sep 17, 2016
Visit site
I understand that, but I don't have the exact build version. I just want to know if using that file will work or if I could get my device bricked.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
I understand that, but I don't have the exact build version. I just want to know if using that file will work or if I could get my device bricked.

It will be fine on any Global build for Android 6.0.1. In fact, I have just used it to root the latest U.K. unbranded firmware, PHV.

fjnieto15

Sep 17, 2016
Visit site
It will be fine on any Global build for Android 6.0.1. In fact, I have just used it to root the latest U.K. unbranded firmware, PHV.

Perfect! Sorry for all the question but I'm nearly a noob around here. I've been two years disconnected from all the Android root-roms-recovery world.

matty1963

Sep 24, 2016
Visit site
The legend that we know as chainfire, has released his CF-Auto-Root kernel for the Galaxy S5 models on Android 6.0.1, Marshmallow.

For details on how to root your Galaxy S5 and download links, go to...

[SM-G900*] CF-Auto-Root

This is for competent and experienced users. Please read all installation instructions, carefully and thoroughly, before proceeding.

This will trip the Knox Security flag and prevent the use of Samsung Pay. Rooting your phone will disable OTA updates and also via Kies/Smart Switch. If you are rooted, you will need to download and flash future updates via Odin.

Here is a short video that shows the rooting process...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xdvl-YBnZHU

ironass motto... "Flash in haste... repent at leisure!" ;)

Thx works well

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gkapidis