The Google May security update is being included in the latest Marshmallow updates for the international G900F model.

The unbranded firmware for Germany includes this in their update to Android 6.0.1, released today. Since Samsung are in the process of rolling out Marshmallow to the international model, we should see this security patch for May being issued on all releases from PDF onwards.
    05-09-2016 10:09 AM
    How are the security updates rolled out, exactly? Do they get added with the actual carrier (in my case) firmware, or by checking in the "security" section updates? If it's the former, chances are slim to none that anyone here in North America will see them.
    05-09-2016 11:16 AM
    The Google security patch is taken by Samsung who then adapt it and if necessary, add to it or adapt it. If there are no firmware updates they can add it too, such as the Marshmallow releases, it can be sent out as a patch. As always, these updates are at the discretion of the carriers concerned on the carrier models. For instance, U.S. Cellular has just had the Marshmallow update with the April security patch, as it takes so long to get carrier branded firmware out. A month in the case of U.S. Cellular... longer for AT&T and Verizon, usually... around 2 months.
    05-09-2016 11:33 AM
    Well, I will let you know if/when it (n)ever arrives here in Canada. Rogers still has not pushed out their GS5 update. I guess they are still trying to cram that phone full of bloatware.
    ironass likes this.
    05-09-2016 11:55 AM
    Well, I will let you know if/when it (n)ever arrives here in Canada. Rogers still has not pushed out their GS5 update. I guess they are still trying to cram that phone full of bloatware.
    Look on the bright side can3gxw... unlike your neighbours, you don't have the added NSA spyware as well.
    rokemsokem likes this.
    05-09-2016 12:09 PM
    05-09-2016 12:14 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	He's Right You Know.png 
Views:	50 
Size:	234.9 KB 
ID:	227096
    Ha. Yep. He sure is.
    05-09-2016 03:02 PM
    How are the security updates rolled out, exactly? Do they get added with the actual carrier (in my case) firmware, or by checking in the "security" section updates? If it's the former, chances are slim to none that anyone here in North America will see them.
    I'm guessing that absent an actual update to the firmware that you won't see any more security patches from carriers up there.

Which is why I was flirting with the idea of flashing the G900F International firmware onto the W8 if Marshmallow W8 modem is compatible (which would have to be extracted and flashed manually itself).

I mean they're the same exact unit, the W8 and the G900F. The only thing is that you'd need the W8 Marshmallow modem. The modem is the only material difference in the two.

Then, again, the Rogers release may well include the May patch, too, given the end of the month of May release date.

Anyway. If when the GS8 comes out and I like it, I might tinker with converting the W8 into a legit G900F.
    05-09-2016 03:10 PM
    The issue with Rogers is not only isolated to the GS5 the GS6 and edge don't have marshmallow either whereas most other Canadian Carriers have released it. I was able to use the Sasktel update from sammobile and update my Rogers GS5 to marshmallow

Posted via the Android Central App
    05-14-2016 09:03 AM