The Lollipop 5.0 version has been around for 2-years. I don't have the sales figures for the S5 but I would guess that it is one of the best-selling smartphones out there. One would think that with that much of an installed base, that there would be Marshmallow 6.0 out there. So many other carriers have already upgraded. Verizon has already shipped the S7 with Marshmallow 6.0. Does anyone know why Verizon is dragging their feet on the S5 ? Your thoughts please. Thanks.

Samsung Galaxy S5 Lollipop 5.0 Verizon
    05-12-2016 01:09 PM
    THAT'S not corporate culture - the phone's 2 years old, so no more updates. (And only flagships get them for 2 years, cheaper phones get them for a shorter time. Remember, for each update it takes a team of programmers to turn generic Android into a ROM for that particular phone.)

Corporate Culture is AT&T and Verizon Samsung phones coming with Knox and a locked bootloader. Not putting them in would have saved Samsung money.
    05-12-2016 02:22 PM
    See #1.6 of 42 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide for reasons that there are delays on firmware releases for AT&T and Verizon.
    05-12-2016 03:51 PM
    AT&T and Verizon are genuinely deluded into thinking that they are "adding value" to these phones by loading them up with their own branded versions of software that Android already comes with, and then locking them down so that customization is impossible.

For AT&T, if enough of their customers bought international unlocked phones outright (which means paying $700+ up front which most people don't have the cashflow to handle) and then activated them on AT&T, they might get the hint that people don't want their modifications. No such luck for Verizon though -- they're still on the ancient CDMA standard that is used in the backwaters of China, the USA, and pretty much nowhere else on Earth. Getting an international phone is not an option on Verizon, not even on iPhone -- they still have a separate CDMA model.
    05-12-2016 05:01 PM
    I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 Marshmallow 6.01 that has a few bugs. Could anyone with the same system, please give me the specifications of your system? I'd like to compare them so I can be sure I have the latest version. Thanks.

Samsung Galaxy S5 Marshmallow 6.0.1 Verizon
    06-21-2016 07:46 PM
    06-21-2016 08:38 PM
    Thanks very much.

06-22-2016 05:16 AM
    I have a buggy Marshmallow 6.01, Verizon edition. What's your best guess on whether 6.0 will be updated soon? Thanks.

06-22-2016 12:12 PM
    Will probably receive monthly security patch updates.
    06-22-2016 02:48 PM
    I have a buggy Marshmallow 6.01, Verizon edition. What's your best guess on whether 6.0 will be updated soon? Thanks.

What exactly is buggy or the problem? Have you tried fixing the issues that have since started after the Marshmallow 6.0.1 update? In most cases, clearing cache will fix problems that arise after an update. In terms of an update, there likely will be security patches as mentioned by ironass. However, the update will likely be a 6.0.x update rather than 6.1. The next major update is going to be "N", and it's rumored to be Android 7.0.
    06-22-2016 02:55 PM
    I am doubtful that there will be anymore updates at all on the Verizon 6.0.1 firmware, security or otherwise. The same goes for most/all of the other US and Canadian carriers. This is a two year old phone now and carriers in Canada and the US would rather us purchase new phones on higher priced plans than support the aging ones.
    06-22-2016 04:37 PM
    I do have 6.0.1. I've had Verizon and Samsung trying to solve my problems. Samsung tried to solve the problem for over 2 Hours via Video conference. That didn't work.
    Verizon was an in person visit. The store is company owned, not a franchise store. They spent over one hour and their recommended solution is a Factory reset. I don't want to do that.
    I'll wait for an update and hopefully it'll solve the problems.
    Thanks for your input.

06-22-2016 04:51 PM
    You could be waiting a long time for Verizon to issue an actual firmware update, (not just a security patch), as the last one, prior to Marshmallow, was almost a year ago. Since it is highly unlikely that the S5 will ever receive Android N, you may as well take the advice of Factory Data Resetting your phone so that you can carry on enjoying it. othrwise, you may find that the situation worsens and you will become a permanent feature on these forums and a dissatisfied Verizon customer. IMHO, it is time to, "Bite the bullet".
    Tritonemusic likes this.
    06-22-2016 05:54 PM