WARNING TO S5 USERS : Android Marshmallow Update KILLS Call Recording

chirantha7777

Nov 28, 2015
Visit site
WARNING TO ALL S5 USERS. It is confirmed that the S5 Update of Marshmallow 6.0.1 kills the Call Recording ability on your phone.

That's right folks! Samsung who supports threatening call making villas and governments that wish to stop call recording have done it again! They have broken call recording in the S5 and since Marshmallow is the last update Galaxy S5 will receive (S2 had three, so will S5) I don't think the S5 will receive a fix because Samsung has a hard time accepting their firmware bugs! They just level it on the app developers and walk away. I can still remember Android ICS broke call recording on the Galaxy S2 and it only got fixed in Jelly Bean. In case of the S5 I don't think it will ever.

I am going to downgrade ASAP because call recording is a essential feature I require anyway. I don't think Samsung being the a 3rd class company they are, would even bother about fixing it ever in the S5 also because the S5 might never receive Android N. I can live without the ugly Marshmallow but never without Call Recording!

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Does this apply to ALL 42 models of Samsung Galaxy S5, both unbranded and carrier branded, worldwide?

Please post a link to your source.

By the way, I am on my second update from Samsung for Marshmallow. Call recording is working fine on both releases!!! :D

Last edited:

chirantha7777

Nov 28, 2015
Visit site
My friend has a SM-G900M (Lives in Mexico) which is also suffering from the same. I think Samsung made the mistake on base code while adopting Marshmallow to the S5 hardware. Basically on all 42 models the Mic and speaker paths and addresses to the modem would remain the same hardware wise. So yes, then all 42 models should be affected. Samsung won't fix it because they are being a bit anti-call recording. I'm using the 900FD version, my next door guys 900F is also affected (he had got the Marshmallow update faster than me), but he doesn't use call recording feature. But three of us notice one more thing in common.... overall responsiveness of the phone is horrible as well!

can3gxw

Trusted Member
Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
How do you record calls on the S5? Is it baked into the stock firmware, or are you using an app to do it? If you use an app from the Play Store, does it not work? Is the sky really falling or can it be traced back to a specific carrier saying "screw you"? I am betting that this is a carrier specific model (like AT&T or Verizon) that has crippled it and not "EVERY SINGLE GALAXY S5 ON THE ENTIRE PLANET OMG!"

chirantha7777

Nov 28, 2015
Visit site
How do you record calls on the S5? Is it baked into the stock firmware, or are you using an app to do it? If you use an app from the Play Store, does it not work? Is the sky really falling or can it be traced back to a specific carrier saying "screw you"? I am betting that this is a carrier specific model (like AT&T or Verizon) that has crippled it and not "EVERY SINGLE GALAXY S5 ON THE ENTIRE PLANET OMG!"

No, SM-G900FD is the international variant of the S5. Also call recording apps were able to record calls via the OS VOICE_CALL (Mode 2) Line which is now disabled.

can3gxw

Trusted Member
Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Also call recording apps were able to record calls via the OS VOICE_CALL (Mode 2) Line which is now disabled.

Again - what app? I have just tried a couple of recording apps from the Play Store and both work 100%. Please don't make broad statements and accuse Samsung (or LG, or HTC, or Apple, etc...) of doing things because they
support threatening call making villas

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
No, SM-G900FD is the international variant of the S5. Also call recording apps were able to record calls via the OS VOICE_CALL (Mode 2) Line which is now disabled.
It's evidently disabled on previous Samsungs too, because none of the apps can record the other end, just me. (Some record a buzz, no voice in either direction, others record the other end so low volume that even playing it through a stereo at a low enough volume that thermionic noise doesn't blow the speakers rarely gives me a word or syllable loud enough to understand.) They must have added it to the S5.

chirantha7777

Nov 28, 2015
Visit site
Again - what app? I have just tried a couple of recording apps from the Play Store and both work 100%. Please don't make broad statements and accuse Samsung (or LG, or HTC, or Apple, etc...) of doing things because they
Thats a typo. Samsung supports villains! If you disable call recording on the phone... that would be for one reason! to allow no evidence for threatening calls. Samsung is trying to support the stupid EU law which prohibits recording of calls maybe to gain business acceptance. But in turn they are supporting such villains. I personally see no harm in call recording. But call tapping is bad!

rokemsokem

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
Oh snaps. Villains, you say? Jiiiminy crickets. That's all we need are villains. Sheesh.

Who are these villains? Will my caller ID tell me it's the villains calling if they call? Cause I have a whistle. And I ain't ascared to use it either. :eek:

stts

Apr 11, 2016
Visit site
So this is clear as mud. Has it been confirmed that S5 Lollipop and Marshmallow cant record both sides of a call clearly? Or are there 3rd party apps that can still easily record all calls? It is vital for me to be able to record both sides of calls. So if some form of S5 cant do that some how, then theres no point to my getting an S5. I been recording all my calls on an S2 using app Galaxy Call Recorder. It works great on S2s and I expected to use it on a newer phone. S5s are getting cheap, but if they cant record calls clearly then I would have to consider an S7. You cant put batteries or memory in S6s, so I wasnt even going to consider S6s.

abk16

Jun 23, 2016
Visit site
As mentioned on this other thread:
I found 1 that works but it does not pop up with a notification of new call recording, If you are interested try Call Recorder - ACR by NLL but if you come across another app please let me know.
I can confirm this app seems to work with my SM-G900F with Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow update. Also, the free version has decent enough features to be usable without having to buy the full. I have yet to reliably test it, but it seems alright so far.

Tritonemusic

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
Just tried it a couple of times, and I share your experience; it seems to work just fine. I have an S5 from Verizon. Marshmallow 6.0.1.

Scoutyranks1

Jul 7, 2016
Visit site
Hello all,
I am very new to this forum and have just found out how to make your phone still record with Marshmallow update.
The new Marshmellow OS comes with a feature called App optimising, otherwise known as doze. This is what you need to do to disable this feature.

Step 1: Go to setings
Step 2: select battery
Step 3: Select battery usage box
Step 4: Select 3 little dots in top right corner.
When you select this, battery optimisation will come up on the screen.
Step 5: Select battery optimisation
Step 6: You will now be presented with a pop up that says all optimised apps below
Step 7: Select All apps, you will then be shown all the apps on your phone Samsung that are being optimised.

There will be a slider button shown in green on all the apps on your phone.

Step 8: Go through each of the apps and press them once to turn off app optimitation for each of them. You will know optimisation is turned off for each when the green slider slides to the left and is no longer green in colour.

Step 9: Save any previous call recordings that you need and delete the call recording app you are using, in my case, Automatic Call Recorder by Appliqato.

Step 10: Re install back your call recording app and now you will see the message that was coming up before telling you that you may not be able to record calls has gone.

Now you will be able to once again successfully record your calls.
Please let me know how you get on.
I have only tried this on my Samsung S5 but I'm sure it will work on all Samsung devices currently using Marshmallow.

Scoutyranks1

Jul 7, 2016
Visit site
WARNING TO ALL S5 USERS. It is confirmed that the S5 Update of Marshmallow 6.0.1 kills the Call Recording ability on your phone.

That's right folks! Samsung who supports threatening call making villas and governments that wish to stop call recording have done it again! They have broken call recording in the S5 and since Marshmallow is the last update Galaxy S5 will receive (S2 had three, so will S5) I don't think the S5 will receive a fix because Samsung has a hard time accepting their firmware bugs! They just level it on the app developers and walk away. I can still remember Android ICS broke call recording on the Galaxy S2 and it only got fixed in Jelly Bean. In case of the S5 I don't think it will ever.

I am going to downgrade ASAP because call recording is a essential feature I require anyway. I don't think Samsung being the a 3rd class company they are, would even bother about fixing it ever in the S5 also because the S5 might never receive Android N. I can live without the ugly Marshmallow but never without Call Recording!

Scoutyranks1

Jul 7, 2016
Visit site
Hello all,
I am very new to this forum and have just found out how to make your phone still record with Marshmallow update.
The new Marshmellow OS comes with a feature called App optimising, otherwise known as doze. This is what you need to do to disable this feature.

Step 1: Go to setings
Step 2: select battery
Step 3: Select battery usage box
Step 4: Select 3 little dots in top right corner.
When you select this, battery optimisation will come up on the screen.
Step 5: Select battery optimisation
Step 6: You will now be presented with a pop up that says all optimised apps below
Step 7: Select All apps, you will then be shown all the apps on your phone Samsung that are being optimised.

There will be a slider button shown in green on all the apps on your phone.

Step 8: Go through each of the apps and press them once to turn off app optimitation for each of them. You will know optimisation is turned off for each when the green slider slides to the left and is no longer green in colour.

Step 9: Save any previous call recordings that you need and delete the call recording app you are using, in my case, Automatic Call Recorder by Appliqato.

Step 10: Re install back your call recording app and now you will see the message that was coming up before telling you that you may not be able to record calls has gone.

Now you will be able to once again successfully record your calls.
Please let me know how you get on.
I have only tried this on my Samsung S5 but I'm sure it will work on all Samsung devices currently using Marshmallow.

po1725

Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
I have S5 SM-G900F I can record both sides
after updating to 6.0.1 I had problems too but i find some app works perfectly

Call Recorder - ViktorDegt -> some bugs with side
ACR - NLL -> can record but not stop auto after call ending
Boldbeast -> Perfect no issues at all (no root)
Total Recall -Killer Mobile -> Perfect no issues at all root works better (THE BEST )

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs