Switching to T-Mobile

DCBCANES

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
Decided to get my AT&T S5 unlocked and switch to T-Mobile. Just looking to get some info on other people's experiences in making the switch with an unlocked phone. Will I have access to the T-Mobile apps as far as billing an such? Will I receive software updates from T-Mobile? Will I see a difference in signal strength (I live in RI)? Any info would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Posted via the Android Central App

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Hi there,

I had an unlocked phone the first time I moved to T-Mobile and here's my experience:
1) Yes, you will have access to T-Mobile apps that are on the PlayStore. Not sure if the TV app is available or not on the Play Store, but no one I know uses T-Mobile TV anyway. For billing and normal stuff, though, they're there.
2) Nope. Your phone is AT&T's, so the updates will come from them, even when unlocked. Now, unfortunately, AT&T is notorious for locking their devices to update only if an AT&T SIM card is present, so this might be your case as well. Only some updates are made available through KIES, but most are OTA.
3) Can't comment on this as I don't live there. You can check out OpenSignal's coverage map to compare.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roshanchoudhary