Unlocked AT&T S5 (sm-G900A) running 5.0 on MetroPCS

arachniac1

Nov 23, 2015
Visit site
How can I get system updates (Ota or kies) or can I root this model yet? I read somewhere unlocked phones can't be updated, so I was just gonna root and do a custom room... But I just read in here the G900a can't be rooted. WTF? Am I just stuck with Lollipop 5.0?

Thanks!

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
How can I get system updates (Ota or kies) or can I root this model yet? I read somewhere unlocked phones can't be updated, so I was just gonna root and do a custom room... But I just read in here the G900a can't be rooted. WTF? Am I just stuck with Lollipop 5.0?

Thanks!

Hello and welcome to Android Central arachniac!

The latest release for your model is Android 5.1.1 which received a security update at the beginning of May.

The AT&T carrier minority variant, G900A, is indeed unable to be rooted. See #1.6 of 42 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide

Also, as they release their own updates instead of using Samsung, you will not be able to update your firmware unless you are registered on their network.

arachniac1

Nov 23, 2015
Visit site
Thanks Iron ***, that's what I thought... What about towelroot? I just saw they can root the AT&T S5. I mostly just want to remove bloatware ect, and make some app tweets, no need for a custom room... Yet. Lol

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Thanks Iron ***, that's what I thought... What about towelroot? I just saw they can root the AT&T S5. I mostly just want to remove bloatware ect, and make some app tweets, no need for a custom room... Yet. Lol

Towelroot is long dead for the AT&T model as it only works on KitKat and AT&T have blocked downgrading your firmware.

Try EZ Package Disabler (Samsung) or Package Disabler Samsung +, from the Play Store.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance