I am currently using the T-Mobile S5 and just recently downloaded the Marshmallow update. Not really a big fan of it though. Is there any way I can downgrade back to Lollipop 5.1.1?
    05-25-2016 04:16 PM
    May I ask what about the Marshmallow update you aren't a fan of?
    05-25-2016 05:58 PM
    The different changes in certain things and layout. And the sound it seems isn't right when I watch videos.
    05-25-2016 06:48 PM
    The only real gripe I have with MM on the S5 (and its an important one to me) is that Smart Manager nonsense and particularly some of the third parties involved in creating them. I don't want them on or any place near any device that I own or its data. If Samsung is going to continue forcing some of these particular third parties onto the devices and the end user, then, I just won't buy from them again. That's not an Marshmallow issue so much as a manufacturer issue that I have. The Smart Manager apps are a bit of a questionable and counterintuitive process they've put on the device, in my view. All the security thing really is, is a half crippled McAfee anti-virus (which I neither want nor need) with a link to the McAfee web site soliciting me to upgrade to their full version in exchange for some of my money. And I trust the brains behind Clean Master to be root integrated into my phone without any choice to remove it about as much as I trust hanging out with a hungry lion on a camping trip. They're notorious for questionable screwery and data mining practices. To the extent that they were pulled from the App Store at one point because of it. What the heck is Samsung thinking by going into business with cats like that anyway? And giving them the keys to managing (counterintuitively, I'd add) the OS? Phhht. Riiiiight. No, thanks. I don't want any parts of anything with Clean Master's name on it. Especially on my personal device where sensitive data is stored. Someone should do a network sniff with that Clean Master powered stuff they've forced in there to see what it's doing. It's already using data and I don't have any idea what it's sending or to where/whom.

It's a shame, really. I liked the Samsungs the way they were before they started letting these other cats in the back door. I don't want anything that is "Powered by Clean Master" any place near my device or its sensitive data. And especially in a position to manage it in any way.

As much as people gripe about AT&T and Verizon, those companies were right to keep this stuff off of their devices.

Relevant reading - http://forums.androidcentral.com/ask...practices.html

Anyway. End of rant. Other than that, I like the new MM okay enough. They did a good job on it for what it is. No way I expected them to make the UI look as nice as the S6 and S7 just because they want to sell those new ones. They still want you to know that you'e using an older device, obviously. Well...that apps icon on the home screen I don't like but that's just because of my OCD. It clashes with my wallpaper. And I don't want to switch my wallpaper.
    thecomicbookandme likes this.
    05-27-2016 12:17 AM
    I was having performance issues on my Samsung Galaxy S5 SM-G900W8. I made a back up on Kies, then reset factory settings, then restored the back up and it was all good except for the old whatsapp messages which were all lost. I had some important information on them so I needed the old messages.

I repeated the same process again but after the factory settings reset, and before the restore from Kies, I left the phone for some time so it downloaded the 6.0.1 update. I was about to sleep then I hit install update so by the morning it is ready for the restoration from Kies.

All backup files are still there but the problem is after this update, Kies is not able to restore most of information, including memos (*.nmm file of the regular memos application, not the Samsung notes) which are even much more important to me.
    Plus checklist application with many to do list items that were saved on it.
    plus indeed the whatsapp which is all lost. I am not sure yet what else was lost that I need to restore but I was just shocked to lose all the backup like this. only contacts restored with problems and messages. everything else is gone, like lock screen, desktop, settings, ...etc.

08-01-2016 02:54 AM
    Whatsapp has its own backup and restore facility under... Whatsapp > Menu (3 dots) > Settings > Chats > Chat backup

Samsung Kies has been replaced by Samsung Smart Switch

See, also, Backup! Backup! Backup! NOW!
    08-01-2016 03:08 AM