will Verizon s5 see marshmallow love?

lacough

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Still waiting......at this point they will be on popsicle by the time it arrives......

Posted via the Android Central App

prlundberg

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
This is why I'm done with Samsung and Verizon. It's bad enough the update is so late. But it's completely inexcusable they have left us on the terrible 5.0 for 15 months.

It's not like this is a one time thing. Both have a long history of this stuff so I should have known better. Thankfully other networks have gotten to the point that I don't feel I need Verizon's coverage anymore.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
This is why I'm done with Samsung and Verizon. It's bad enough the update is so late. But it's completely inexcusable they have left us on the terrible 5.0 for 15 months.

It's not like this is a one time thing. Both have a long history of this stuff so I should have known better. Thankfully other networks have gotten to the point that I don't feel I need Verizon's coverage anymore.

Nothing to do with Samsung. They do not issue Verizon firmware. See #1.6 of 42 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide

Other U.S. carriers that Samsung do issue firmware for, such as, U.S. Cellular, Sprint, T-Mobile and Metro-PCS are already on Marshmallow.

NosmoKing116

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Interesting that for the S6 and 7 that Verizon released updates before any of the other US carriers.

We know TMobile has released it for the S5 with Sprint for the Sport version.

As for VZW and our S5, I'm not getting my hopes up anytime soon.

sdsubball23

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
Unlock the bootloader and get cm13. It's stock Android marshmallow and it works fine for me with my Verizon s5. I think that's the one of the only options at this point for us Verizon s5 users until Verizon releases an official update.

Last edited:

prlundberg

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Nothing to do with Samsung. They do not issue Verizon firmware. See #1.6 of 42 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide

Other U.S. carriers that Samsung do issue firmware for, such as, U.S. Cellular, Sprint, T-Mobile and Metro-PCS are already on Marshmallow.

I have appreciated your updates, but on this I beg to differ. Samsung took over 6 months to release Marshmallow on it and doesn't have the backbone to prevent carriers from crippling their products with bloat. They also took so long to release 5.0 that by the time it was released they knew full well how bad it was, yet they released it anyway. They are the main culprit here, Verizon just adds to it...with Samsung's blessing.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
I have appreciated your updates, but on this I beg to differ. Samsung took over 6 months to release Marshmallow on it and doesn't have the backbone to prevent carriers from crippling their products with bloat. They also took so long to release 5.0 that by the time it was released they knew full well how bad it was, yet they released it anyway. They are the main culprit here, Verizon just adds to it...with Samsung's blessing.

Samsung has to adapt the Google Marshmallow firmware for each of its dozens of models. They have always then, launched their newest flagship model, (S7), on this and this is followed by the previous flagship, (S6) and then the one prior to that, (S5).

First to be updated will be the international unbranded models worldwide as Samsung do not have to refer to carriers or add bloatware. Providing a country's telecoms body authorises it, Samsung can release unbranded firmware immediately. As we have seen, most of the lightly branded carrier firmwares are also just waved through by carriers. In tandem with this come the unbranded and lightly branded regional models. Then, the carrier branded models that are specific to that carrier and are more heavily adapted and modified. Last but not least, are the non Samsung released firmwares that are very heavily modified and carrier branded and bear as much resemblance to the original unbranded firmware as a camel does to a horse.

Also, like China, the U.S. still has a fragmented cell network that has both GSM and the old CDMA. Unlike the rest of the world, the U.S.A. does not allow a generic, unbranded, regional U.S. or international model running stock Samsung firmware. Therefore, in the U.S.A., Samsung's customers are not you but rather, each individual carrier and like a lot of other phone manufacturers, they have to dance to their U.S. carrier customers tune. This can easily mean that carriers such as Verizon are lagging behind in the firmware race. Far be it from me to say that Verizon might be more interested in their S7 sales than updating their older models... since it is they that release the firmware and not Samsung.

See, also, Marshmallow releases for Galaxy S5

prlundberg

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Well, yes, I understand most of that. But Samsung is still taking 5-6 months to release new Android versions even on non-carrier specific phones. Nobody is forcing them to release so many different models.

What I don't understand is your claim about the US. Samsung does sell unlocked, carrier agnostic phones running stock Samsung software and of course so does pretty much every other OEM. Not that stock Samsung software is good to begin with, which is another issue.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Well, yes, I understand most of that. But Samsung is still taking 5-6 months to release new Android versions even on non-carrier specific phones. Nobody is forcing them to release so many different models.

What I don't understand is your claim about the US. Samsung does sell unlocked, carrier agnostic phones running stock Samsung software and of course so does pretty much every other OEM. Not that stock Samsung software is good to begin with, which is another issue.

I am not aware of any unbranded Galaxy S5 phone that is marketed by Samsung for the U.S. networks or any Samsung U.S. firmwares that are fully compatible with all the U.S. networks. The Galaxy S5 international model and the Latin America, G900M, will only work on some of the U.S. networks.

Android 6.0.1 became officially available for the stock Google Nexus devices, 6 months ago...

Download Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow For Nexus Devices

Here is my unbranded Galaxy S5 international model on stock Samsung firmware for Marshmallow, Android 6.0.1, back at the beginning of February. Full roll-out began in April.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech