Can Smart Manager be disabled in MM?

rokemsokem

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
I want this turd gone with the quickness. Seems like it's just some integrated Clean Master garbage. I have a feeling it's going to turn into an ad server, too. The second I saw that thing I became annoyed. And, then, with the anti-virus scareware aspect of it, too. I don't need a ram manager/cache cleaner like this to do what I can do manually and likely more accurately. That Clean Master app was/is, I think, one of the most downloaded pieces of complete garbage in the app store. And now it looks like it's integrated into my phone. This thing has to go. I neither like it nor trust it.

can3gxw

Trusted Member
Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
That is very odd... we are on the same variants (Canadian) but different carrier firmwares. I don't even HAVE Smart Manager on my phone. Or I do and can't find it... Blame Rogers/Fido and not Samsung (per se).. Bell didn't include it.

rokemsokem

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
That is very odd... we are on the same variants (Canadian) but different carrier firmwares. I don't even HAVE Smart Manager on my phone. Or I do and can't find it... Blame Rogers/Fido and not Samsung (per se).. Bell didn't include it.

Right. Some carriers are opting to remove it from their firmware. AT&T and Verizon are a couple who have left it out. Could be that Bell left it out, too. Not sure.

Either way, it's definitely Samsung's doing.

Now, I can live with it for as long as I'll have the S5 because I know what it is, who supplies it and not to use it. The problem is that I really like the Samsung Galaxy series devices. And all of the new ones have this embedded into their OS as well. That right there will definitely scratch the New Galaxy off of my list when I decide it's time for a new device. No way I want anything Cheetah Mobile is supplying having root access to and the means to manage any of my data and personal information. And again, that kind of sucks because, as I said, I like the Samsung Galaxy devices.

Not only that, but the entire idea of RAM managers and all of that is counterintuitive to the Android OS. Seems like they are banking on conforming to Cheetah Mobile's model as some kind of gimmick to sell more phones to people who simply do not understand how the Android platform works.

And frankly, I simply don't trust anything that Cheetah Mobile is supplying to the OS. No way I want that outfit having administrative access to manage my data and other personal information. Heck with that craziness.

Last edited:

rokemsokem

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
Beyond that particular bit of skullduggery with Samsung letting Cheetah Mobile into the platform by default, though, I'm content with what they've done with the MM update on the S5. It's running extremely smooth and I'm glad to have it. It's quite snappy. Very responsive, too. The battery has new life. It drains very slowly. I haven't made a call on it to check to see if call quality has improved, though. A lot of peope tell me that my signal is poor when I'm talkign to them. That may be a carrier issue, though. Not sure.

So, I don't want to be a stick in the mud. It's just that on thing. Which happens to be a kind of big thing given that they picked Cheetah Mobile of all outfits to manage my data. It's obvious why they did, though. A lot of people rave about it just because they really don't understand how the Android Platform works. And the makers of Clean Master (Cheetah Mobile) know full well that their larger user demograph doesn't know how the Android platform works. Those people think that Clean Master is doing something for them and then they go and give it high praise making it super popular and creating the illusion that it's a useful and necessary application but the fact of the matter is that all Cheetah is doing is manipulating their ignorance for market shares. And likely profiting from their personal data, too. No wonder samsung chose Cheetah Mobile to supply their warez to embed into their devices. It'l sell more phones. Again, the average user just doesn't know any better.

It's the principle of the matter that bugs me. Plus, as I said, I don't trust Cheetah Mobile with having default access and the ability to handle and manage any of my data and personal info as far as I can throw them.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
It's like deja vu with Smart Manager. That was August last year for the international model. To be fair to Samsung, it is a revamped version that uses some of the Cheetah stuff and, I guess, was placed on there for the average, everyday, user who is not tech minded. Personally, I can live without it, (or anything associated with Cheetah, like Clean Master), and it does seem odd that most Canadian firmwares do not have it but Rogers and Fido, do.

Either use, as mariusfilip suggested in post #3, above, Package Disabler Pro (Samsung), from the Play Store or, IIRC, Settings > Lock screen and security > Other security settings > Usage data access > turn off Smart Manager data usage.

rokemsokem

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
It's like deja vu with Smart Manager. That was August last year for the international model. To be fair to Samsung, it is a revamped version that uses some of the Cheetah stuff and, I guess, was placed on there for the average, everyday, user who is not tech minded. Personally, I can live without it, (or anything associated with Cheetah, like Clean Master), and it does seem odd that most Canadian firmwares do not have it but Rogers and Fido, do.

Either use, as mariusfilip suggested in post #3, above, Package Disabler Pro (Samsung), from the Play Store or, IIRC, Settings > Lock screen and security > Other security settings > Usage data access > turn off Smart Manager data usage.

Yeah, I turned of the data usage for it first thing. Ah well. Is what it is, I suppose. I'm not really as annoyed by it as was initially anyway. Itf it was anyone else besides Cheetah Mobile supplying the code it wouldn't bother me as much. I'm going to try to stay on top of what's going to be inside the upcoming S8, though, to see if they keep it in there. By the time that comes out I'll likely be ready to upgrade my phone. So that'll be on my mind when that time comes.

I had read about that Package Disabler. I'm not going to go that far with it, though. I just won't use the Smart Manager and keep the data usage off and hope for the best.

Thanks.

Double Tap

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I turned of the data usage for it first thing. Ah well. Is what it is, I suppose. I'm not really as annoyed by it as was initially anyway. Itf it was anyone else besides Cheetah Mobile supplying the code it wouldn't bother me as much. I'm going to try to stay on top of what's going to be inside the upcoming S8, though, to see if they keep it in there. By the time that comes out I'll likely be ready to upgrade my phone. So that'll be on my mind when that time comes.

I had read about that Package Disabler. I'm not going to go that far with it, though. I just won't use the Smart Manager and keep the data usage off and hope for the best.

Thanks.

I have MM on an unlocked SM-G900T and I am on Cricket. I don't have Smart Manager in my T-Mobile Marshmallow download.
However I do have Clean Master on the phone and I find it quite helpful because of the one touch hibernate feature that shuts down all running apps which will extend battery usage time and also cools down the CPU.

The only thing that would concern me is if CM would have access to my banking information. Since I don't store username or password for financial sites should I have any serious concerns?

Posted via the Android Central App

WPB

Aug 1, 2016
Visit site
Sorry to disagree but Bell/Samsung does have "Smart Manager" in marshmallow as it was in KitKat, this piece of, I'll try to be nice, nonsense both interferes with wifi and claims my security is malware.
With no way to remove it, we are left to just disable it and within a few min it's back.
I have disabled notifications so it no longer wakes me up in the middle of the night but as has been suggested in many forums, it can not be permanently removed or disabled.

This, according to Samsung, is not a problem.
Not impressed Samsung.

Next step for me is a complete root.

Mojave

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site

My S5 from Verizon does not have Smart Manager on it. I just purchased a Samsung Tab A 9.7 tablet and it does have Smart manager on it. I followed ironass's suggestion and turned off Smart Manager data usage on my tablet. I also don't trust anything from Cheetah.

Dougal95

Jun 1, 2016
Visit site
Wow. That makes for some seriously scary reading. Although pretty PC savvy, I'm not to hot with Android devices. Am I correct that the only way to 'completely' disable Smart Manager, is to root my phone?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo