Verizon Galaxy Update

lgossin

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
downloading now 585 area code

Also chatted with Verizon earlier today who told me I needed to do a factory reset because I was not seeing the update. Update started without the reset, but I did back up everything any way

Last edited:

vectormoe

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Update complete (Tampa, FL- 813 area code).
Total time from download initiation to last reboot/updating apps completion: approx 30 minutes
Phone was initially sluggish at first and a tad warm from the update process.
Rebooted phone, and appears to be working fine. I agree with earlier comments about phone screen being more responsive and quicker. Plan on wiping cache partition shortly.
Android 6.0.1
Android Security Patch Level May 1, 2016

Hope this helps.

anon(8453378)

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
Updated about 2 hours ago in MD (301 area code). Wiped cache partition and ran sd maid to clear any duplicate or orphaned files. So far so good.

shl711

Aug 13, 2011
Visit site
also wifi calling works well. I just put phone into airplane mode and it used my office wifi. I receive and make calls easy with good sound.

ret18057

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
any way to force it? other than through the settings menu. I am traveling tomorrow and would like to have WiFi calling. Kies doesn't have any updates yet.

Ugh

Jims S5

Dec 12, 2015
Visit site
Just updated mine. About a half hour. Nothing lost. Backed up important info.

1 question, I was prompted to accept or denied security updates? Says it does it automatically if accepted. Good idea?

dkelly701

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
Just updated mine. I have something new going on. I use fingerprint lock and when I reboot the phone, it tells me "Your phone was restarted and needs to be unlocked with the password." After using the password the first time, I can then use the fingerprint. Is anyone else seeing this?

nwh10

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone care to guess when the update will be available on the Software Upgrade Assistant, Kies, or Smart Switch? It's not yet. I'm on a Verizon MVNO and don't expect to receive the update over the air.

ksat

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
WARNING.....

I just upgraded my S5 to Android 6.... If you have previously set up a lock-screen pattern and/or PIN but DO NOT CURRENTLY use it, refresh your memory on what they are. I did not have lock-screen security enabled prior to upgrading but post-upgrade, it was set. Thanks Verizon/Samsung! So, after upgrading to Android 6, a pattern lockscreen was set. After several incorrect attempts, a backup PIN was required. I knew neither...

I had to jump through hoops to find a way to unlock the phone. Samsung has a website (if you have an account) - http://findmymobile.samsung.com that you can use to remotely control your phone. Click the LOCK button and set a new PIN. Your phone will be re-locked with this new code, overwriting the existing... unlock the device with this new pin and you are good to go! UPDATE: Just click the UNLOCK MY DEVICE button and overwriting the existing lockscreen security settings... This will wipe out any lockscreen security that you have enabled.

Hope this helps someone else... Hopefully, this is a ONE-OFF situation and hope you don't experience the same issue as I did.

Last edited:

Rlin5741

Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
Is anyone else getting a "cannot connect, please try later" error with the check for updates? It's showing up on my sgs5 and my sgs7, all other network activity with both phones is OK.

This is the error I see on my sgs5. The sgs7 shows an error that more specifically mentions connection as the issue.

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-06-01-08-00-07.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-06-01-08-00-07.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 41
Last edited by a moderator:

vectormoe

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
One small glitch that happened to me after the update was related to favorites/contacts with pics/images. While the image displayed on the Favorites menu for those contacts, when I went to actually call them, the image did not display on the actual call page. I found I had to go and re-associate those images for those contacts.

This did not happen to all of my favorite contacts, just about 4 of them (I have 10). All appears to be working fine now.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jan