Verizon Galaxy Update

SnoFire

Sep 1, 2015
Visit site
I ran into this early today. You have to go on the phone after you connect it to the computer and get the drop down menu and click on the USB settings. In there you have to choose what you are doing. I don't know if it sticks or not if you do it once.

Jeb Malcolm

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Yeah. Me, too. Still 5.0, still trashes my music, still whines about the paucity of device storage. Not MY fault Verizon & Samsung won't let more data be moved to the sd card, which would solve all my storage problems. Other than that, I really like the s5. I'm not going to upgrade.

Mojave

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
Finally got the update from Verizon this morning. Just finished downloaded it. Wiped the cache partition. Will keep an eye on phone usage today and see if any issues arise. So far.....so good! :)

Anyone know what the new features are in Marshmallow compare to Lollipop? Thanks.

jj8279

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
I am indicating where I live because there are several different versions of the galaxy according to location/country.

stan171

Jun 3, 2016
Visit site
Yes. I just updated to 6.01 and whenever I reboot, I get the request for my password and that I can use my fingerprint the next time. But it goes back to this password page on every reboot. If I simply put it to sleep, when I awaken it, I do get the fingerprint lock page, but if I reboot, I get the password page again. Note: If I opt for the pattern lock page, that works correctly.
Any success in resolving this?

BlurryEyed

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
I am still in awe as to how fast my phone is now...the difference between 5.0 and 6.0.1 is now letting me keep my S5. I was shopping for a Nexus 5X, but now I have only 1 complaint - 16gb storage.

scott15851

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
My battery is shot by noon. Use to last all day until at least 5. During a work day. What the heck.

Posted via the Android Central App

joebob2000

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
a big update 2 years after release ain't bad. its a shame the internal/sd app storage is still just as crappy though. while it now only reports "all this app is on your sd card" it really isnt. I moved 450mb of apps to the sd card (facebook and messenger) and the onboard storage only went up by 100mb. If it also goes back to internal storage after updating (like lollipop did) I am going to be very disappointed. Google/samsung is ruining the whole point of having external expandable storage.

joebob2000

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
My battery is shot by noon. Use to last all day until at least 5. During a work day. What the heck.

Did you do a factory reset? I did and battery life has been great. After updating there were all kinds of apps just stuck in limbo (wont update, caused errors, etc) but all that went away with the three finger salute.

ksat

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
WiFi calling still doesn't work for pre-paid accounts. T-Mobile does. Cut the crap, Verizon!

yea! I tried testing WiFi calling to my OOMA phone and I got a message indicating "this line" or "the number you are calling does not support WiFi calling......" WTH is this all about?

BlurryEyed

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
Did you do a factory reset? I did and battery life has been great. After updating there were all kinds of apps just stuck in limbo (wont update, caused errors, etc) but all that went away with the three finger salute.

1st step would be to wipe your partition cache
2nd step if that fails is a factory reset.

Are you using an OEM battery? I tried a 3rd party battery once - it was no where near as good as OEM. Spend the $12 on OEM, its worth it.

BlurryEyed

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
Got the update this evening using Software Upgrade Assistant. I haven't done a wipe and factory reset yet.

I don't feel like my phone was worse after the update, but I factory reset because it was time to clean house and start from scratch. That may be why my phone feels so much snappier now, but I genuinely believe the new OS made a lot of performance improvements. I'm not seeing much in the way of enhanced features outside of Wifi calling/texting.

SeaNNyT

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Is it possible to downgrade to lollipop? My battery drains about 20-25% quicker than it use to on this marshmallow update.

I ask because I know verizon has made it harder or impossible to do so in the past. The lollipop to kitkat on the G900V for example.

OWybPPgO

Geek Mom
Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Mine is noticeably faster and cooler even without factory reset. There are two features I've read about but can find - ram manager and lock screen access to Google now. Anyone?

Also a question about doze. Do I need to disable it for apps I want to get notifications always, like my email and text apps?

Last edited by a moderator:

dgcamero

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Is it possible to downgrade to lollipop? My battery drains about 20-25% quicker than it use to on this marshmallow update.

I ask because I know verizon has made it harder or impossible to do so in the past. The lollipop to kitkat on the G900V for example.

If you haven't factory reset your phone since updating, you should probably backup everything and do so now...it will take a week after updating for all the cache files to be redrawn and things to settle in before you will be able to get a handle on actual battery life.