Hi all. So having an issue thats driving me crazy. I have a 64bg Generic SD card which has been ok up until recently. Now my gallery is not recognising any photos located there. I can, however, view them through a file explorer. Have located hidden .nomedia extensions and deleted (but they were on the device not SD). Have tried downloading another gallery app, and still same result. Am at my wits end. Thinking of moving all files to my laptop, to reformat the SD, and put em all back on after. But will that even fix it? Any advice is much appreciated. Am using an S5 on Lollipop. Thanks in advance
    05-30-2016 06:50 AM
    The SD card could be corrupt, defective, or counterfeit. Install SD Insight to see if the card is genuine or counterfeit. Counterfeit cards are programmed to report more storage than they actually have, and if you try saving more than the card can actually hold, then files can start getting corrupt.

If it's a valid card, then go to Settings>Storage, Unmount the card, remove it, and insert it into your computer. Can the computer read these files? Backup as much as you can right now, then run chkdsk to look for bad sectors: http://forums.androidcentral.com/amb...d-sd-card.html.

Also, make sure there aren't any .nomedia files in any parent directories of the ones where your photos are located on the SD card.
    05-30-2016 03:53 PM
    The SD card could be corrupt, defective, or counterfeit. Install SD Insight to see if the card is genuine or counterfeit. Counterfeit cards are programmed to report more storage than they actually have, and if you try saving more than the card can actually hold, then files can start getting corrupt.

If it's a valid card, then go to Settings>Storage, Unmount the card, remove it, and insert it into your computer. Can the computer read these files? Backup as much as you can right now, then run chkdsk to look for bad sectors: http://forums.androidcentral.com/amb...d-sd-card.html.

Also, make sure there aren't any .nomedia files in any parent directories of the ones where your photos are located on the SD card.
    OK thanks for this advice. I'll give it a go and report back. When I tried to take photos with the SD card as the save point, they also wouldn't come up. But this time not even in file explorer. So corrupt maybe a possibility. If it is corrupt, is there a fix or is it a goner? Also what are parent directories?

Thank u for your reply and advice

👍
    05-30-2016 04:03 PM

So I installed the insight and it saying the SD card is INVALID under manufacturer. I don't even know what make it is as it came with a generic tablet I bought. It does however show it ha's 67 GB in storage. What do u reckon? Dodgy card even though it says in Insight it has 67 GB.

P.S maybe worth mentioning I never formatted the card before I used it. So I don't know what format it is etc. And it was installed and used in the tablet we had for a while.

Thanks again
    05-30-2016 04:08 PM
    I wouldn't trust that card. I'm not even sure how a card would have 67 GB. Get a new card from a reliable brand (like SanDisk) from a bricks & mortar store (i.e., not some random eBay seller).

If you already have a lot of photos on the card, Unmount it (in Settings>Storage), remove it, and insert it into your computer. Then use Windows Explorer to drag and drop all of the files to the computer hard drive.

Parent directories are the ones that are higher up (i.e., if the directory you're looking at is a subdirectory of another).
    05-30-2016 04:58 PM
    OK man will do. I've already copied all the photo's and videos to my laptop, but will drag and drop me too. Thanks again
    B. Diddy likes this.
    05-30-2016 05:50 PM
    If you've already backed up the photos to the laptop's computer, there's no need to do it again. Just wanted to make sure you have copies of your photos safely stored somewhere besides a potentially unreliable SD card.
    05-30-2016 07:25 PM