Dear community,
    I have been experiencing issues with my screen lock. Even though it is secured with a PIN, the phone can be unlocked just by swiping the screen.
    Now when I try to change the screen security settings, it asks for a pin. However, no matter how many times and what combination I would input, it would refuse to accept or offer some alternative methods.
    This issue corresponds to the past when the screen lock was secured by a pattern. Even though I knew the pattern and it was initially working, after some time the pattern would not be recognised and the phone would be unlocked by the alternative google method.
    Is there any chance this is a common issue, which can be bypassed without the factory data reset?
    I do appreciate your time taken to read this query.
    Sincerely, perdaugmazas
    06-13-2016 07:57 AM
    The glitch was solved by using the firmware reset provided by Samsung Smart Switch. Even though the factory reset was conducted, the software provided methods for data backup.

I do appreciate your input in overcoming this issue.
    Welcome to Android Central! Is Smart Lock turned on? If you wait for 5 minutes or so before turning the screen on, is it still just a swipe to unlock?

Have you tried going to Settings>Security>Clear Credentials?
    06-13-2016 01:23 PM
    Thank you for your reply.

The smart lock is disabled. Also, the swipe would be enough to unlock the phone irrespective of the time it was locked for. Regarding the clear credential option, it is marked as blank and can not be accessed.
    06-14-2016 03:49 AM
    See what happens if you wipe the cache partition: http://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-10404
    06-14-2016 05:15 PM
    Thank you for the another reply of yours.

The glitch keeps occurring after the cache partition was wiped.
    06-15-2016 04:54 AM
    Are you able to switch to the fingerprint sensor, or does that still require you to enter your pattern first?
    06-15-2016 12:11 PM
    I can not switch to the fingerprint sensor, since it requires the PIN. However, I have tried to switch to it before setting the PIN as the unlocking method. It appeared to have no effect, since the phone could be still unlocked just by swiping it.
    06-15-2016 01:25 PM
    Frustrating. My next suggestion would typically be to reinstall the firmware using Samsung Smart Switch, but I'm never quite sure if this acts as a factory reset, or if your personal data is not affected.
    06-15-2016 09:34 PM
    The glitch was solved by using the firmware reset provided by Samsung Smart Switch. Even though the factory reset was conducted, the software provided methods for data backup.

I do appreciate your input in overcoming this issue.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    06-16-2016 08:21 AM