Still waiting for my S5 to get Marshmallow via AT&T. I know, fat chance at this point. lol. I have a verizon phone for work too. No comparison how other networks push out their updates compared to AT&T. Ironically, I just received another software update from AT&T about 20 mins ago. Hopes were raised thinking it was Marshmallow. Nope, just another 206 mb security update, I guess for June. Long story short, I have 2 months left and I am no longer remaining an AT&T customer. 15+ years, never missed one bill and I will be gladly walking away. Like anyone else, I want the newest software. Its a big kick in the balls when literally every other carrier offers the update except the one I am on. Oh well.....
    Feldon likes this.
    06-16-2016 09:00 AM
    I am kinda in the same boat. The Note 5 is still waiting for MM. I am going to admit, I probably won't leave AT&T, but I don't think i am going to get devices through them any longer.
    06-16-2016 09:17 AM
    I've got to disagree with you guys. I appreciate the fact that AT&T takes time to get the bugs out before releasing major updates. I read about all the horror stories Verizon subscribers had with Lollipop. Lollipop 5.1 has been working perfectly for me, and I'm not anxious to update to a buggy 6.0.

Yea, heavy and a bottle of bread.
    Steve_Karl likes this.
    06-16-2016 12:26 PM
    I do have to agree that I am glad that AT&T releases much more stable updates.
    But, as one of the BIG Boys in the provider market, it doesn't bode well for the reputation to be Last to release Major OS updates.
    I will say this. We are still getting the Security Updates impressively fast..
    I want Marshmallow too. But not until it's right.

Posted from the AC App via the SG S5 on AT&T
    Attached Thumbnails Ugh-screenshot_2016-06-16-21-14-21.jpg  
    Steve_Karl likes this.
    06-16-2016 08:22 PM
    SS attached
    Attached Thumbnails Ugh-1466126794473.jpg  
    06-16-2016 08:27 PM
    Well. At least you guys are up to date with the security patches. I'm on the April one and likely won't ever see another security update for the life of the phone. Personally, I'l never buy another carrier branded phone again after this one I have now. But that's just me.
    can3gxw likes this.
    06-17-2016 03:22 AM
    Thanks for this thread. Went to check for updates, and sure enough...the June security patch is there (206MB).

I have to agree...AT&T has taken their time, but IMO, the builds for this phone have been solid and bug free.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Steve_Karl likes this.
    06-17-2016 08:04 AM
    I think the release of the Google security patches in the U.S. may have more to do with their FCC and FTC than any newfound concern for their customers. See...

The FCC and FTC are investigating how companies release mobile security patches
    06-17-2016 09:57 AM
    Too bad the CRTC in Canada doesn't care about wireless consumers....
    06-17-2016 11:41 AM
    Too bad the CRTC in Canada doesn't care about wireless consumers....
    Sorry can3gxw, I was distracted by checking the June security patch on my stock Samsung unbranded U.K. model, (BTU), firmware on its 2nd Marshmallow update, (PEF).

(I'll get my coat!)
    06-17-2016 12:46 PM
    I'll get my coat!
    I may forgive you if you decide to send me one of those...
    ironass likes this.
    06-17-2016 01:00 PM
    I may forgive you if you decide to send me one of those...
    We need to catch ironass and duct tape him to a wall or suhntin.

And his coat, too.

If we do it just fer giggles, it likely wouldn't be a violation of the NAP or anything.
    can3gxw and ironass like this.
    06-17-2016 06:27 PM
    I thought I was the only one anxiously waiting!! I have a love/hate relationship with AT&T, I have been with them since they were Cingular but I'm thinking I too may change!
    ironass likes this.
    06-17-2016 07:09 PM
    What would be ideal is for Samsung to get on board with other major manufacturers and allow purchase of Unlocked (unbranded) devices in the US and cut out the middle man. Then they can get updates to those who want such a device the update they built for the individual phone. Once carriers get in the middle of it all, that's where these delays start..
    ... too many variants of the same device gets convoluted and messy... But I digress...
    06-18-2016 12:36 AM
    What would be ideal is for Samsung to get on board with other major manufacturers and allow purchase of Unlocked (unbranded) devices in the US and cut out the middle man. Then they can get updates to those who want such a device the update they built for the individual phone. Once carriers get in the middle of it all, that's where these delays start..
    ... too many variants of the same device gets convoluted and messy... But I digress...
    Great idea! Now all we have to do is get the U.S. networks cartel to agree to the idea. I am afraid that the price for doing business in the lucrative U.S. market is Samsung and a number of other phone manufacturers, have to kowtow to the cartel's demands. With the S7/Edge, Samsung have dramatically cut down on the number of carrier branded and regional models in an attempt to streamline firmware and updates but... you guessed it, the U.S. are clinging to their usual carrier branded models which are now the only ones that are all locked down and unrootable, on the entire planet. To make matters worse, both China and the U.S. have fragmented carrier networks that use different GSM bands and the old, outdated, CDMA system that means they have been lumbered with the inferior quad core Qualcomm Snapdragon 820 CDMA compatible chipsets on their carrier bloated and modified phones. Sales in the U.S. of grey imports of the Global S7/Edge with the rootable, battery friendly, cool, fast, octa core Exynos 8890 chipset have shot up because of this and should act as a wake up call to the U.S. cartel.
    06-18-2016 04:22 AM
    networks cartel
    You keep using that word... I do not think it means what you think it.... oh, wait... yeah... never mind...
    ironass likes this.
    06-18-2016 06:48 AM
    I've got to disagree with you guys. I appreciate the fact that AT&T takes time to get the bugs out before releasing major updates. I read about all the horror stories Verizon subscribers had with Lollipop. Lollipop 5.1 has been working perfectly for me, and I'm not anxious to update to a buggy 6.0.
    Non-carrier Samsung phone owners were able to upgrade to 5.0 at their leisure rather than when the phone forcibly reboots and upgrades. They were instead able to upgrade to 5.0, 5.0.1, 5.1, and 5.1.1 within weeks of them becoming available.

AT&T and Verizon are not "improving" the software. They are rewriting it, for the worse. The fact that AT&T dragged their feet and started from 5.0.1 while Verizon started from 5.0 does not exonerate either company. If both were only lightly modifying the software, they would have gone 5.0 -> 5.0.1 -> 5.1 -> 5.1.1 in a relatively short period of time.
    06-18-2016 09:10 PM
    Non-carrier Samsung phone owners were able to upgrade to 5.0 at their leisure rather than when the phone forcibly reboots and upgrades. They were instead able to upgrade to 5.0, 5.0.1, 5.1, and 5.1.1 within weeks of them becoming available.

AT&T and Verizon are not "improving" the software. They are rewriting it, for the worse.
    I never stated or even insinuated that AT&T was in any way "improving" the software. I am only a common consumer, and don't have ready access to an unbranded phone. Forgive me if I had the audacity to give AT&T a pat on the back.
    Maybe some of you "power" users should lighten up and give the every day guy a break. 😨

Yea, heavy and a bottle of bread.
    06-19-2016 07:23 AM
    And now we have Carrier Unlocked in the US
    Hip-Hip Hooray!!
    Now... Let's see if the Note 7 follows suit and Samsung shows it's ability and severs carrier conformity. If so, I will be seeing an Unlocked Note 7 in my hands as soon as deliveries arrive. If not, my UnLocked S7 will be here a few days later....
    07-03-2016 10:40 PM
    As has already been said in this thread, I would rather wait for a version that is trouble free after reading the horror stories that are Sprint and Verizon so far with MM than have it rushed out and have to deal with that. Not to say when AT&T does updates they are trouble free, but their certainly not in the same ballpark as the other 3 after a big update... Besides, it takes a while to put all that bloatware on an update like that!!!

Why would you not just root your phone to be able to get an update when available from Samsung? Seems like a pretty drastic step to change providers!!
    07-05-2016 12:39 PM
    Why would you not just root your phone to be able to get an update when available from Samsung? Seems like a pretty drastic step to change providers!!
    Not possible on AT&T.
    07-05-2016 03:34 PM
    How long has it been since you can't root an AT&T phone?
    07-06-2016 10:30 AM
    How long has it been since you can't root an AT&T phone?
    You could not use towelroot on builds 03 June 2014 onwards which meant downgrading to Android 4.4.2 then AT&T introduced the mega locked down bootloader in Lollipop, Android 5.0, last year which in turn prevented downgrading. See, http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...ml#post4970035
    07-06-2016 11:37 AM