Suddenly 'locked' Samsung Galaxy S5 SM-G900V, how can I get back in?

1LooseCannon

Jul 4, 2015
Visit site
Suddenly 'locked' Samsung Galaxy S5 SM-G900V

I purchased a used unlocked Verizon S5 some months back and it has worked perfectly until yesterday. I have used Kies 3 to back it up every weekend. I just returned from a 10 day trip where I added A LOT of new data into the phone and last night when I went to back up the unit Kies displayed the message 'The connected device is locked. Please enter password on the connected device'.

It seems that the texture/appearance of all the icons themselves changed slightly a day ot two before the end of my trip but I just attributed that to a Samsung update. Could I have accidently allowed a Verizon update somehow and now the phone is somehow accessing Verizon?

Phone works fine. I just can't back it up.

I didn't intentionally 'lock' the device nor do I know where to enter a password to unlock it. Where would I look to input a password to unlock the phone?

Also when I hook up the data cord DropBox displays 'Camera upload error DropBox couldn't upload any photos'.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited:

1LooseCannon

Jul 4, 2015
Visit site
Re: Suddenly 'locked' Samsung Galaxy S5 SM-G900V

It's a used unlocked Verizon phone purchased about 6 months ago and has a Straight Talk sim card that has worked from the day I put in the ST sim (two other phones in my family purchased and used same way have not developed this problem). I have been able to connect to Kies 3 all this time and use all it's features but mostly backing up the phone every weekend. I returned from a 9 day trip and now Kies says the 'The connected device is locked. Please enter password on the connected device'. That's about it except that although its a Verizon phone the SIM accesses A&T towers. Where would I enter a 'password' on 'the device'. I'm pretty familiar with all the settings and have not found that point of interest. Also found online a reference to the phone needing to be set to a particular USB setting and I've not found that POI either.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
well, I also have a used s5 verizon phone, after updating to 6.01 android, it has been locked, asking me for a password

Welcome to Android Central! When you got the phone, did the previous owner remove his or her Google account before doing a factory reset? Or have you just been using it with the previous owner's Google account?