July security update rolling out for S5

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Samsung have begun rolling out the July Android security patch level: 01.07.2016 to the international G900F phones with their first release for Vodafone Italy on Product code OMN.

DocDouglas

May 30, 2016
Visit site
I have just checked for updates and found the July Patch available on my G900M device...

Is it safe to download? Has anyone faced any issues with this new build?

can3gxw

Trusted Member
Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Apparently, some Canadian carriers have released - about 4 days ago - PDA version [FONT=&quot]G900W8VLS1DPF3, changelist 7722359. But not yet Bell or Rogers. There may be hope yet for us to get a security update... still "rocking" April 2![/FONT]

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Apparently, some Canadian carriers have released - about 4 days ago - PDA version [FONT="]G900W8VLS1DPF3, changelist 7722359. But not yet Bell or Rogers. There may be hope yet for us to get a security update... still "rocking" April 2![/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Weirder still, those Canadian regional releases for the [B][B]G900[COLOR="#FF0000"]W8
[/B][/B] on the latest PF3 build, just released, are still only on the June security patch and not the latest July release. No change to firmware build as the changelist remains the same as the old PD3 build, #7722359

Rogers has been released now... PDA: G900W8VLS1DPF3 CSC: G900W8OYA1DPF3 CHANGELIST: 7722359 BUILD DATE: 13.06.2016

can3gxw

Trusted Member
Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Whoops... yea, my bad. I see Rogers in the list on sammobile. Still no love for the Bell customers. I would be happy today to get at least the June release. Then again, I would also be happier if Bell held off for a couple more days and gave us the July security update.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Whoops... yea, my bad. I see Rogers in the list on sammobile. Still no love for the Bell customers. I would be happy today to get at least the June release. Then again, I would also be happier if Bell held off for a couple more days and gave us the July security update.

It is unusual for the Canadian regional model, G900W8, to break ranks as they are all updated en masse for all carriers... that is, until the last 2 or 3 releases ago, when the slow pokes have been left behind.

can3gxw

Trusted Member
Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Indeed it is. It is either going to be better for us Bell customers (meaning newer security update), the same (same level, just slower releasing it) or worse (we never see this update).

I'm still hoping for #1. (just a sec - have to go clean my rose-coloured glasses)

rokemsokem

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
Dang. I didn't see this thread. I got the update OTA (which surprised me, really) this morning but I started another thread. I didn't know they had already rolled out the update.

It's still only the June 1 update, as ironass had mentioned. It's better than the first half of April's patch, though. I'll take it.

Last edited:

rokemsokem

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
It is unusual for the Canadian regional model, G900W8, to break ranks as they are all updated en masse for all carriers... that is, until the last 2 or 3 releases ago, when the slow pokes have been left behind.

I think maybe they been on the phone and email nagging that Obudsman guy. Heh :)

Last edited:

rokemsokem

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
Indeed it is. It is either going to be better for us Bell customers (meaning newer security update), the same (same level, just slower releasing it) or worse (we never see this update).

I'm still hoping for #1. (just a sec - have to go clean my rose-coloured glasses)

I think yours it out now, too.

can3gxw

Trusted Member
Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
And June 1 patch. Not too bad... but since it's so small, there's no real reason why it had to come out so late. We're almost already two months behind as it is now.

rokemsokem

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
And June 1 patch. Not too bad... but since it's so small, there's no real reason why it had to come out so late. We're almost already two months behind as it is now.

Well. The fact that we got the patch at all is a good sign. Now, if, come October, we get September's patch, they might have most of the bugs worked out. The critical ones, anyway. By that time, I'll likely have enough of those Federal Reserve Notes that are backed by absolutely nothing of any significant material substance at all tucked away to indulge in one of those unlocked GS8 trinkets if it's built right. This S5 is a bit of a nostalgic device, though. I like it. It has everything that I want. And still looks as fresh as the day it rolled off the line.

Last edited:

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Moan! Moan Moan!

We have the regional model users for Canada, G900W8, moaning that they have only just received the old June 2016 security patch on their Marshmallow firmware and we have the AT&T carrier minority variant users, G900A, complaining that they have only received the new July 2016 security patch but are still on their old Lollipop firmware!

There's just no pleasing some people.

Meanwhile, I just sit here with my international model, G900F, with Marshmallow that came out nearly 7 months ago and on the July 2016 security patch, waiting patiently for the August 2016 security patch in about 2 weeks. :D

(written, "very", tongue-in-cheek ;) )

rokemsokem

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
Meanwhile, I just sit here with my international model, G900F, with Marshmallow that came out nearly 7 months ago and on the July 2016 security patch, waiting patiently for the August 2016 security patch in about 2 weeks. :D

Yo. Get yer coat and get out of here. :)

can3gxw

Trusted Member
Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Meanwhile, I just sit here with my international model, G900F, with Marshmallow that came out nearly 7 months ago and on the July 2016 security patch, waiting patiently for the August 2016 security patch in about 2 weeks.

Nobody likes you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol