Why doesn't text get cleared in URL bars on the S5 Neo when I start typing like it does on the S3?

Anagoge

Jun 7, 2014
Visit site
I'm upgrading to a Galaxy S5 Neo from an S3 mini.

On the S3, when I wanted to type in the address bar on Chrome (Or Firefox), I could click in it, the whole url would be selected and when I began typing, the text would clear.

Now I'm on an S5 Neo, this behaviour seems to have changed. Now when I click in the address bar, the text is selected, but when I begin typing, the text just gets added to the end of what has been selected and doesn't clear what's there.

I tried this in both Chrome and Firefox and the behaviour is the same. Is there a way to change this to the more useful "select and clear" behaviour?

Anagoge

Jun 7, 2014
Visit site
I decided to reset the whole phone and that seemed to fix the issue, which means that something is interfering. The only thing that I can thing of that might cause any issue is Nova Launcher, but as that's nothing to do with behaviours inside a browser app, I don't understand why that might affect it. All other custom apps are standalone apps and don't affect the way the phone works.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Have all apps been reinstalled? If not, you could try reinstalling them one by one, testing the browser after each install. Tedious, but it may help you pinpoint the problem app.

Anagoge

Jun 7, 2014
Visit site
It annoyed me enough to simply get a refund on the phone. Since it's a software issue, I know it might happen on a different phone, but I'd rather not deal with it!