Reading the forum posts on this same issue for the Galaxy S5, it's no surprise that the "new" Galaxy On5 (mine is T-Mobile) has the same issue: while charging, the screen comes on. If you turn it off, it turns itself back on and stays on until you discover and turn it off again. And so on.
    For the S5, the issue was some Stay On setting (or something like that) in Developer Settings that needed to be turned off. OK, great, but in the v of Android that comes in the On5...there is no Setting for Developer or even for System. So...then how do you accomplish turning off this involuntary 'nightlight' feature? Ironic, eh?,... that the On5 was clearly configured for people who don't want to develop or even access Android settings, but as a consequence don't have access to turn off this setting.
    Anyone have a suggestion for fixing on the On5. Please note per above...there are no 'Settings' for Developer or System. (Device is a SM-G550T, Android version 6.0.1) thanks in advance.
    07-19-2016 11:57 AM
    Welcome to Android Central!
    Go into settings - about phone - tap the build number 7-10 times and the devs settings will apear.
    Best regards,Mikey. I hope you found what you were looking for.
    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge SM-G935F.
    07-19-2016 12:04 PM
    mehigh01 - thanks for the ruby slippers tip!! Developer options now visible in Settings. That said, the Stay Awake option was already OFF, so apparently this issue is not the same as what others described for the S5. I cycled the Stay Awake setting (now OFF again), pulled the charger plug in/out a few times (gently of course), but still experiencing same behavior: When charging (note this is wired/USB cable charging only, phone not setup for testing with wireless charging), after ~5 second display of home screen, it times out to weird prismatic image. If not charging, display comes up for ~5 sec, then times out to display off. Let me know if you have any other thoughts on what setting is at play.
    Thanks much!
    07-20-2016 11:04 AM
    Not sure if you sorted this one out, I was having a issue where the screen would turn off as normal on USB cable/Wall Charger, but would not turn off when using a wireless charger. The only thing that I remembered doing was turning on the Dev Options and like you I confirmed that stay awake was disabled. Out of curiosity I turned this ON. suddenly now it turns off as expected. Not sure why this setting is opposite for me.

Phone: VZW S5
    02-17-2017 09:27 AM