"Unfortunately Music has stopped" immediately on opening

Noremon

Aug 6, 2016
Visit site
2. S5
3. KitKat
4. Music (the stock application) crashes on opening it. I have tried deleting it's application data & cache but still as soon as it starts loading it crashes.
5. Not rooted

I factory reset about 2 weeks ago. And tonight I decided to remake the rest of my playlists in Music. PowerAmp can export system playlists to .M3U8 files so I went to do so. But PowerAmp wasn't finding the new ones I created even after telling it to "rescan". SonI uninstalled & reinstalled it. It found them no problem. But Music had found the duplicates/back-ups so I stuck a .nomedia file in the Playlists folder. Worked fine for the evening. I opened Music again and saw my system playlists were missing so I deleted the .nomedia file. Music hadn't found them for a while so I forced closed Music to reopen it to rescan for them. But it crashed as soon as it loaded. I cleared the cache first and still crash. So I deleted its application data. And it still crashes. I have uninstalled PowerAmp and deleted the system playlists thinking maybe something was with that. I did a wipe cache partition but no dice still. I use Music daily and I really want to get this sorted.

I even tried restricting background processes in Developer Options. And it even crashes with the Music widget.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
After the factory reset don't automatically restore the device. Only open up the Music app and see if the error happens. If it doesn't, then it's something else related to the apps or services you are using. I would suggest re-installing each one-by-one to see if the issue re-occurs.

Noremon

Aug 6, 2016
Visit site
After the factory reset don't automatically restore the device. Only open up the Music app and see if the error happens. If it doesn't, then it's something else related to the apps or services you are using. I would suggest re-installing each one-by-one to see if the issue re-occurs.

Um, I would like to try other options before another factory reset?

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Um, I would like to try other options before another factory reset?
Well, the factory reset should have fixed the problem. But if you are re-installing apps immediately afterwards then something else is causing the problem. You can try deleting all your apps and format the SD card. If that does't work, then factory reset.

Noremon

Aug 6, 2016
Visit site
I didn't have the problem before factory reset or immediately after, just since yesterday. And I only have 1 othet media player installed and no issues. The factory reset is just why I was remaking system playlists to begin with is all.

Noremon

Aug 6, 2016
Visit site
WELP. I got it fixed.

{ Stock Music App Will Not Open | Android Authority Forums } Had the same error and clearing the cache & application data for both stock music & the Media Storage then restarting my device and leaving it for about an hour fixed the Music crashing problem. I delayed trying ut because clearing my Media Storage data broke my 3RD party camera application last time and is what prompted my Factory Reset. So I waited until I had time to deal with that possibility if needed. But the 3RD party camera application didn't break this time! So everything is fine now! No more using PowerAmp for music exclusively. I hated that if I was listening with headphones and got a notification or took a picture, PowerAmp would play out the speaker fir a moment instead. It was embarrassing. Also if you rewind a song with your finger it only goes back to about 4 seconds in :-/