life cycle of a Galaxy S5

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I bought a Galaxy S Two and a half years ago. It has performed flawlessly with the exception of a broken door over the charging port. My question is how much more life can I expect from the S5 and can I
please have your experience with the phone. Thanks

Samsung Galaxy S5 Marshmallow 6.0.1 Verizon

Last edited:

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I bought a Galaxy S5 a year-and-a-half ago. It has performed flawlessly with the exception of a broken door over the charging port. My question is how much more life can I expect from the S5 and can I

That all depends on the user. It most likely won't get much in terms of update support, but still should function well for at least another year or more.

Mojave

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
I also have a S5 from VZW and it's still running strong! Mine is 2 years and 3 months old. I still have my charging port cover attached to my S5. :D Running Marshmallow 6.0.1. I have a glass screen protector on it and a Carved custom wood case. Love the case because the side of the case has a textured rubber grip which makes for a great hold on the phone. I am still using the original battery that came with the phone. I did buy a spare battery in case the original one dies. I never had any major issues with my S5. Every once in a while I would pull the battery. My SD card is still going strong.

I've been very happy with my S5 and I am hoping to get a couple more years out of it. :D

captfbgnet

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I bought a Galaxy S Two and a half years ago. It has performed flawlessly with the exception of a broken door over the charging port. My question is how much more life can I expect from the S5 and can I

Sprint S5: Ditto here, Had the phone for about 2 yrs. Absolutely no problems, battery life great so far. I do 'clear/clean out' texts, files, updates, etc from time to time using smart manager and wiping the partition cache. Because it runs so well with no problems, I have a difficult time letting it go and upgrading to something 'newer and greater.'

Feldon

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
Mine runs like absolute crap. AT&T Samsung Galaxy S5. It lags like crazy. Opening the camera takes 8-10 seconds. When people call me, I can swipe the button a half dozen times and it still doesn't answer. I'll open Chrome browser on a complex page and sometimes it just sits with a white screen for 10 seconds. I reboot every few days just to try to get some sense of usability out of it. The phone never performed particularly smoothly, but it's a mess at this point.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Marshmallow will almost certainly be the last Android platform update for the Galaxy S5 unless you can root your phone and install a Nougat custom ROM. How long you continue to receive Security Patches from your carrier is anybody's guess. Hardware wise, my 5.5 year old Samsung Galaxy S2 is in daily service with a neighbour and has been running a custom Marshmallow ROM for the last 6 months with security patch, now, 05 August 2016. :) :) :)

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I also have a S5 from VZW and it's still running strong! Mine is 2 years and 3 months old. I still have my charging port cover attached to my S5. :D Running Marshmallow 6.0.1. I have a glass screen protector on it and a Carved custom wood case. Love the case because the side of the case has a textured rubber grip which makes for a great hold on the phone. I am still using the original battery that came with the phone. I did buy a spare battery in case the original one dies. I never had any major issues with my S5. Every once in a while I would pull the battery. My SD card is still going strong.

I've been very happy with my S5 and I am hoping to get a couple more years out of it. :D

Thanks. That's good news. I did prematurely replace the battery and I guess the door broke because I recharge it at least twice a day and use it often in the car using the in car charger.