S5 Restarting over and over

Jon Capaldi

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site
So - its 2.30am here in the UK, and i was lying in bed, going through my usual routine, checking FB, SkyNews, setting alarms for in the morning, and the obvious check of Pokemon Go.

When i loaded into Pokemon Go, the game hung for a second or two longer than normal on the Niantic (?) screen and my phone restarted.

When this happened, i realised it was on the "Samsung S5 Powered By Android" screen for longer than usual. So i hard reset by taking the battery out and restarting, and i get to boot into my phone (not rooted, btw).
Now my phone stays on for about 1.5 mins before restarting by its self and getting stuck on the above screen unless i remove the battery and it all happens again.

The above even happens in "safe mode"...

How can i fix this? its not been dropped recently, its been fine since the marshmallow update a few weeks ago, and i was doing nothing more than i normally would at this time of night...

would it be best for me to put a version of marshmallow on the SD card and force an update?

Any light shed on this would be great - thanks

hauckk

Aug 16, 2016
Visit site
This means that for some reason your phone is experiencing kernel errors same as blue screen of death on windows.

so what I would do is download Odin to your pc or heimdall for mac then go to sammobile.com and download the firmware your s5 is currently on.

You can check this by going to settings about phone.

Then download drivers for s5 from Samsung website.

Then flash firmware in Odin or heimdall

Wait for reboot and then sign in you should be able to use your phone then

Jon Capaldi

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for your reply.

How can i find out the exact version, i know it was recently upgraded to marshmallow, but i dont know the exact version. the phone will now not stay on longer than 20 secs so i cant get to the settings.

Also, why would this happen so randomly in the middle of use?

Jon Capaldi

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site
right - ok - did this - and it did everything great!

when the phone booted back up - it was exactly how i left it - nothing had been deleted or reset at all
and the problem remains

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for your reply.

How can i find out the exact version, i know it was recently upgraded to marshmallow, but i dont know the exact version. the phone will now not stay on longer than 20 secs so i cant get to the settings.

Also, why would this happen so randomly in the middle of use?

Is your international model's firmware branded for O2 in the U.K. or is it unbranded from, say, CarphoneWarehouse and just has an O2 sim card in it?

Below are the 2 firmwares that you can choose from for unbranded and O2 branded. Choose which one matches your phone and download it and flash it via Odin as per hauckk's suggestion, by carefully following the instructions and video in #1.11 of 42 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide. To be on the safe side, back up as much as possible beforehand. See, Backup! Backup! Backup! NOW!

Unbranded U.K. Marshmallow firmware

Model SM-G900F
Model name GALAXY S5
Country United Kingdom
Version Android 6.0.1
Changelist 7182592
Build date Thu, 07 Jul 2016 10:15:00 +0000
Security Patch Level 2016-07-01
Product code BTU
PDA G900FXXS1CPGZ
CSC G900FOXA1CPE1

O2 branded Marshmallow firmware for U.K.

Model SM-G900F
Model name GALAXY S5
Country United Kingdom (O2)
Version Android 6.0.1
Changelist 7182592
Build date Tue, 05 Apr 2016 06:40:19 +0000
Security Patch Level 2016-04-02
Product code O2U
PDA G900FXXU1CPD3
CSC G900FO2U1CPD2

Jon Capaldi

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site
I have also done a factory rest after flashing with odin and formatted the cache partition - and still nothing :(

however - odin is only taking 02.57 mins to flash the device...

b31e3ee9909464ba2d2858a215de9e92.png

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
The flash succeeded, so if you have done an FDR and cache partition wipe as well and you are still not re-booting, then you may need to seek help from a Samsung Service Point. Has your phone ever been rooted and had a custom ROM or had a .PIT file flashed to it?

Jon Capaldi

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site
Just an update - took it to my local Samsung store today - and they said its the Mobo that is causing the issue. and it will be repaired under the MFU Warranty