S5 unable to surf & no voicemail w/ Consumer Cellular

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! We need to know which exact S5 variant you have. Go to Settings>About Phone and tell us the exact model number. It is certainly possible that your phone might not be compatible with Consumer Cellular's network. Consumer Cellular uses AT&T and T-Mobile towers, so if your S5 is a CDMA variant (i.e., for Verizon or Sprint), then it could be incompatible (or only partially compatible).

Also, make sure your APN settings are correct. Go to this site and enter "APN" in the Question field. Select the only result, and check to make sure your phone's APN settings match. https://www.consumercellular.com/Support/Knowledgebase

skody54

Aug 26, 2016
Visit site
The model number is SM-G900V.
So B. Diddy, I took your advice and got on the CC website and plugged in their info. I gave them a call and we 'tested' my phone. I'm up and running on the AT&T network they use. Thank you.

Last edited:

skody54

Aug 26, 2016
Visit site
I'm thinking because it's a V it's from Verizon. It also has AT&T in the top left corner. I added the ConsCell info and spoke to them. I seem to be set up. Thanks again. Next question, how do I delete the Verizon stuff. Along with this I have an issue where I'll hit a contact to call and the number is changed to a 617 area code number 'by the sim'. Wow

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately, that Verizon stuff is preinstalled bloatware. You can't remove it unless you root the phone. You could try disabling the Verizon apps in the App Manager, but I seem to recall that many Verizon bloatware apps can't even be disabled.

Not sure about the phone automatically adding the 617 area code. Go to the Phone app, tap More>Settings>Call Settings, and see if there's an option there to automatically add a prefix or area code.