Why the Galaxy S5 will not receive Nougat

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
There has, in the past, been lots of speculation about whether the Samsung Galaxy S5 will receive an update to Nougat, Android 7.0, or not. It has now been confirmed that it will not receive Nougat.

This is nothing to do with Samsung not wanting to support an older model and just abandoning it. Rather, the explanation is far simpler. The Galaxy S5 uses the Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 chipset which, like the 800 version, does not have graphic drivers that are compatible with Nougat, as is mentioned in this article about the OnePlus 3...

"all devices powered by Qualcomm's Snapdragon 800 and 801 include graphics drivers that are not compatible with Nougat"

So, there you have it!

rokemsokem

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
The chip can, however, be updated to become compatible. To not do so seems to be nothing more than an arbitrary choice.

What's interesting is that tech media relentlessly pushed the incompatibility narrative without any confirmation from the manufacturer whasoever.

So everyone's like "oh....umkay...better buy a new phone then" like trained monkeys.

Nobody asks questions anymore. We just say "oh...umkay...better buy a new phone then"

So much for the idea of flagships. Seems like just another gimmick.

I don"t know about you ll but I'm tired of pulling 800 dollars out of my rear end every 24 months just to conform to what appears to be nothing less than technology manipulation for profit motive. I'm just not doing it anymore. This is a chice. Hopefully more people will start to wake up, make more practical decisions on what they consume, and let the market decide who wins and loses. Right now the market isn't deciding. It's backwards. Instead of the consumer dictating what the manufacturers do, the manufacturers are dictating what the consumer does while tech media runs interference for them.

Last edited:

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
The chip can, however, be updated to become compatible. To not do so seems to be nothing more than an arbitrary choice.

What's interesting is that tech media relentlessly pushed the incompatibility narrative without any confirmation from the manufacturer whasoever.

So everyone's like "oh....umkay...better buy a new phone then" like trained monkeys.

Nobody asks questions anymore. We just say "oh...umkay...better buy a new phone then"

So much for the idea of flagships. Seems like just another gimmick.

I don"t know about you ll but I'm tired of pulling 800 dollars out of my rear end every 24 months just to conform to what appears to be nothing less than technology manipulation for profit motive. I'm just not doing it anymore. This is a chice. Hopefully more people will start to wake up, make more practical decisions on what they consume, and let the market decide who wins and loses. Right now the market isn't deciding. It's backwards. Instead of the consumer dictating what the manufacturers do, the manufacturers are dictating what the consumer does while tech media runs interference for them.

Yeah I agree with you. Not having the latest OS doesn't mean your phone stops working. All your apps still work and the apps themselves still update.

Of course you don't have the latest features of the latest OS. For e.g., I have Doze when the phone is idle but I will miss out on Doze when the phone is in use. So be it. And with the app updates, you might miss out on some features that are Nougat specific. Again, so be it.

But yeah I agree, running off to automatically replace what is still a high end phone like trained monkeys. There are still plenty of new phones that don't have the high 2.5GHz clock speed.

But I will say this. A flagship phone should have more than 2 yrs latest OS support.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze