Is it too late to be worth buying an S5?

Mystical Mudcrab

Oct 3, 2016
Visit site
My current phone is a Galaxy s4 mini and it is also utterly dead (and didn't even last one year before I had to replace the battery >:[ ). I liked it a lot but it seems like maybe that model was a bit of a dud; I didn't do any research prior to buying it on the naive assumption that if you pay $600+ for a product from a well respected brand you will get a quality product that will last you years. Well, I've learned my lesson.

After viewing the specs that mean anything to me of various phones within my price range (not just galaxies), and also having read professional and user reviews, I decided that the s5 was going to be the one.

I'm not an advanced user (nor am I technologically challenged) so I don't have a great many requirements and the s5 ticks all my boxes: seemingly reliable, sufficient external memory capacity, good main camera, removable battery, good customisability - and as a very significant bonus: a familiar interface. It is also just within the limit of what I would like to pay. It's $600 in Australia, which is still a mere half the cost of the new s7 edge, but I figured if it lasts me reliably for years, as it ought to, then I'm okay with that price.

However, I've read a few worrying threads on here about the s5 not getting the next update, Nougat. I'm not entirely sure that the Australian s5 model (G900IZWAXSA) has even gotten Marshmallow yet or will?? (If someone could clarify that point for me that would be great.)

If I can't get Nougat (which seems pretty certain), would it be unwise to buy the s5 this "late" in its life when I am looking for a phone that will last me years? I don't care about having the best of the best; I don't buy into the cult of the new. I just want a good phone that meets my - not unreasonable - requirements (as listed above) and lasts me AT LEAST 3 years - the longer the better. I know that eventually the occasional app will turn up that I won't be able to get, but that doesn't bother me. Instead I am worried what else the lack of support means - which I don't understand. Will security be compromised significantly? What else does it mean?

If you got this far, thanks very much. ;)

Last edited:

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Hello and welcome to Android Central Mystical Mudcrab!

There are a lot of people like yourself, worldwide, that prefer to go for the slightly older models of phone because they are not only cheaper but also have the firmware wrinkles ironed out once they have been out awhile.

You are considering spending AUD$600, (US$460, €410, £357).

The Galaxy S5 is now a 2.5 year old phone and, for me, has proved very reliable. The Australian model is the G900i and all models, unbranded and carrier branded, are now on Android 6.0.1, Marshmallow. Thi will be the last Android platform for the S5 and for the foreseeable future it will continue to receive security updates but these are likely to diminish over time and at the whim of your carrier if you buy a branded phone for Opus, Telus or Vodafone. Personally, I would go for the unbranded model on Product code, XSA unless your network requires a branded model. See, 42 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide for more information regarding S5 models, regions and firmware/Product codes.

I would certainly expect a new Galaxy S5 to last 3+ years. In fact, my 5.5 year old Galaxy S2 is still in service with only a new battery in all that time. However, technology moves at a very fast pace and unless you are willing to root your phone and flash custom ROMs that are updated with new features, you may find that in another year or two, the hardware spec's of the S5, "may", not be able to handle the updated apps from the Play Store... depending on which and how many apps you have installed. For instance, the S5 has 2GB of RAM which may seem reasonable now but there are already phones that are out with 3, 4 and 6GB of RAM.

You may want to look at a newer model phone, such as the OnePlus 3 model that was launched 3 months ago and has 6GB of RAM and is destined for Android 7.0, Nougat, and beyond. This phone retails, new, at €399, (AUD$584, US$448, £329). See, here. This is fully compatible with the Vodafone, Australia, network and mostly so with other Australian networks. See, Will My Phone Work?.

I am sure that there are other models that might offer you more, "bang for your buck", as they say.

See, also, Huawei P9 Lite on sale at AUD$400, here.

OnePlus 3 review

Huawei P9 Lite review

Last edited:

guntunit

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
I recently broke my Galaxy S5 but I think its an amazing phone. Instead of paying like $200 to fix my broken one, I bought a second hand one from Akoda to replace my broken one for a little extra money. They're an Australian website but I'm sure you could grab one off eBay or some local online classified. Personally, I liked the phone and didn't feel like upgrading.

Moa Hunter

Jul 19, 2016
Visit site
My is identical to your spec. Gotit off Cash converters. New but great price. I confirm it is running Marshmellow. I say..... go for it

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay