What is the proper way to replace an SD Card in my Verizon S5

neil154

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I have a 32 GB SD Card (works fine but want more space) in my S5 and want to replace it with a 64 GB SD Card. What is the procedure to do this without losing any data.

Should I format the new card in my phone and the copy all contents (or only some folders) from 32 GB card to 64 GB card (I have the capability of copying using my PC and an adapter card)?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
That is probably the best way to go. I would copy/paste the files just in case if a copy goes wrong.

can3gxw

Trusted Member
Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I agree with GolfDriver97.

One question - do you have any apps installed on your card? If so, you will want to move them all back to your phone until you're done.

- Turn off your phone and put the SD card in your PC.
- MOVE (CUT and paste) the entire contents to a folder on your PC. I prefer MOVE over copy in case something doesn't get copied over and you're guessing what didn't get backed up
- Insert your new SD card into your phone and start it up. Format the card using the PHONE, not the PC
- Connect your phone to your PC and using Windows Explorer start COPYING your data from the backup to your new card

I have done this a few times and it's worked perfectly every time. Never lost a thing. I do a FDR about once every 6 months just because of the leftover crap that I accumulate from installing and uninstalling apps, etc...

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
- MOVE (CUT and paste)
Do NOT cut and paste, copy and paste, then cut once you're sure that the copied file works. If you blow a cut and paste operation, you can end up with no file. If you copy one file at a time, there's no question which file didn't get copied if one didn't. (Move is really copy/paste/delete - if a file doesn't get moved, you still have no idea which file it is.)

If you can connect both cards to the computer at the same time, do it that way - it's a lot faster than connecting the phone to a USB port on the computer. If not, it's still a bit faster to put a card into the computer, copy all the folders to one folder on the desktop, switch files and copy all the folders in the desktop folder to the card. (How do I know? I spent Monday doing a lot of that in switching cards.)

neil154

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, I have apps on SD Card and did move them. Once I format the SD Card in the phone there are a few folders created .Android_secure, Lost_Dir and System Volume information. Do I over write them?

Also, since you said that you FDR, what method do you use to install all of your apps and get the settings for your apps to be what you had before FDR?

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance