Not getting photos in text

DWFII

Oct 7, 2016
Visit site
My wife has an AT&T S5 on the Tracfone network. I have an S2 on Virgin Mobile (replacing it soon).

We just got the S5 set up and activated yesterday. I have a wifi network for my desktops, and apparently the S5 defaults to wifi. And that suits us fine as long as we are in physical proximity , which is most of the time.

Last night, we sent a text to our daughter to test the phone. We got a text back in reply that included a photo of the granddaughter. But the photo did not display in the default Messages app. The text was there but in place of the photo was a "download" button. Clicking on that button did something (there was a "transition" graphic) but no photo appeared either in Messages or in Gallery or Google Photos.

As a further test my daughter sent the photo to the S2. It is running on the wifi network, as well...in fact I can't get reliable 3 or 4G service with it due to crappy coverage by Sprint/Virgin Mobile (that's why I'm replacing it). So the text with the photo came to the S2 via wifi. And the photo showed up perfectly.

I am wondering if there is a problem here or a setting I missed. Why wouldn't the photo show up on the S5?

I would appreciate any help.

DWFII

Oct 7, 2016
Visit site
Far as I can see both are turned on. I was told by my carrier that the phone would default to wifi when it was available and then switch to 4G when it was not.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I've read about issues where the phone doesn't seem to know to switch to mobile data for MMS. See what happens if you turn off wi-fi and leave mobile data on -- does it receive photo messages now?

DWFII

Oct 7, 2016
Visit site
Thank you for taking the time...although the fact that you seem to be the only one, suggests the other version in the "Help" thread might have been better placed.

But no matter, the problem is solved--the folks over at Android Forums advised I look at APN' and even provided a link to a Tracfone site where I entered the phone number and the model of phone and two small "flash" files were sent to my phone to install.

When I had done that, everything was fine.

So...problem solved.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21