I can't change my lock screen security option S5

cgonzalez93

Nov 1, 2016
Visit site
So I went to unlock my phone that had a pattern and it did not recognize it even though I entered it correctly 10 times. It asked for my backup pin and I entered it correctly, again 100% it was not wrong. It kept adding seconds to my log in timer. This has been happening every couple days for the past week. I just restart my phone and the pattern is recognized. Anyway, today I unlocked my phone with my google account and then I went to change my security screen to the same pattern to see if it would stop bothering me every couple days. Then, I noticed that even after I chose my pattern it would revert to swipe, no security. After re doing the pattern a couple of times and still staying at swipe no security (I turned off my phone and there was no pattern even though every time I wanted to switch the security screen it would ask me for the pattern). I switched to pin. That did not work and stayed at swipe no security and as I tried to change it, it asked me for the pin. I entered it and it said sorry, try again. So now I can't change the screen lock. What do I do? My lock screen is unlocked by a swipe even though in the settings for security it says pin.
HELP!!!

cgonzalez93

Nov 1, 2016
Visit site
I've restarted it many times and I don't want to do a factory reset because I have too many pictures and contacts that I cannot afford to lose.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Moved to the S5 forum (initially posted in the S5 Active forum by mistake).

I've seen this issue crop up with some regularity here, but not quite sure why it happens and how to solve it. If you go to Android Device Manager on the web and try to remotely lock the phone with a new password, does it let you do it?

cgonzalez93

Nov 1, 2016
Visit site
Thank you soo much! It worked. I can now go to settings and change the lock option! Is there any way to upvote your response or add reputation to your account?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Wow, I actually didn't think that'd work!:) Most of the time in these situations, ADM says a new password isn't needed because the phone already has a password -- this is because most people try this when they have forgotten (or "forgotten") their original phone password. The ADM remote lock/password only works if the phone isn't secured with a lock in the first place. I guess since your phone was stuck on swipe only, that means it didn't have a lock in place, which is why ADM did work.

We have no upvoting or reputation, just the Like button. No need for any of that -- I'm just glad the problem was solved!