Hello all,

After trawling the internet for about 6hrs to no avail, I'm in need of some much needed help.

The wifes S5 screen is dead, doesn't turn on. However the phone works. I got an OTG adaptor and the phone is mirroring a screen, but the problem is i cannot get the data off it. I've tried a lot of things:

1. Similtaneous MHL and OTG doesn't work on S5 (after a lot of search this was the best option but doesnt work).
    2. Tried ADB but the phone appears to not be in USB Debugging. The phone only has a swipe to unlock screen too.
    3. Kies says the phone is locked, but when unlocking from samsung page, it still says the phone is locked!

Possible issues. The now screenless S5 has been replaced with an S7, but would this mean that Kies has locked it out indefinitely as she signed on a new phone?

I really am frustrated as replacing the whole screen (with digitizer) costs just as much as a used S5.

Help is greatly appreciated.

Phil
    11-04-2016 06:10 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! Can you try connecting a Bluetooth mouse to the phone? If you can mirror the screen using MHL and control the cursor using the Bluetooth mouse, you could probably get a lot done.
    11-05-2016 12:08 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! Can you try connecting a Bluetooth mouse to the phone? If you can mirror the screen using MHL and control the cursor using the Bluetooth mouse, you could probably get a lot done.
    Hi, thanks for the welcome and suggestion. that is a possibility, but I wouldnt i need to turn on Bluetooth on the phone and pair the mouse with it?

Regards
    Phil
    11-05-2016 06:08 AM
    Derp, I didn't think about that. I guess I usually have my Bluetooth on for my Huawei Watch, so that's why I was in that mindset.

What if you use the technique described here? http://forums.androidcentral.com/gen...ed-screen.html. So use a USB mouse connected via OTG to swipe unlock the phone, and then swap out the OTG cable for a USB cable to connect to your PC in order to access the internal storage. You could at least copy over photos and documents.
    11-05-2016 10:07 AM
    That was one of the guides i read and it was hopeful, but take me back to one of the issues, Kies says the phone is locked, when i do unlock it, its still not recognised because of lock preventing any connection to the device.
    11-05-2016 02:32 PM
    I used this for a very short time...may not work in this situation but perhaps this Chrome extension: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...ffefm?hl=en-US
    11-05-2016 03:06 PM
    That was one of the guides i read and it was hopeful, but take me back to one of the issues, Kies says the phone is locked, when i do unlock it, its still not recognised because of lock preventing any connection to the device
    To access the photos, though, you shouldn't need Kies. Once you've used the mouse to swipe unlock the screen (assuming that's possible), connecting the phone to the computer should allow you to use Windows Explorer to explore the phone's internal storage. (Unless the phone's USB connection status is stuck on Charge Only.)
    11-05-2016 08:16 PM
    Sorry i should have said that windows Explorer does recognise the device, but nothing is contained within it. I open it up but no folders. i also try to view anything hidden but no joy. usually i would see a list of folder specifically DCIM, but still nothing. I would assume that i would have to change the connection type to MTP, but of course i get the issues, i cannot view screen. The other issue is that the wife wasnt the best at clearing her notifications bar and usually i would see about 15 different items. Argh, i beginnning to think ill never sort this out. The other only optin is buying Dr.Fone to pull whatever data i can. I did a trail where you can view the file, but of course that EVERYTHING! Pictures wise, it would pull over 10,000 files that are images. I think she only had somethign in the region of 100 plus luckily we moved all current pictures (about 2 months ago) to the SD card. Curse samsung to bring out a phone with 5 pin connectors rather than the now usual 11 pin to allow both MHL and OTG!
    11-06-2016 10:51 AM
    Sorry, wish I could've been of more assistance!
    11-06-2016 06:46 PM
    Your phone isn't being recognized because the last update to Android 6 has default when you connect the micro USB cable to charge and not file transfer. If anyone out there knows how to get around that without the screen being on maybe they can help. Just for grins have you tried to swipe down after you plug in a cable and maybe you can get the USB to switch to file transfer.
    11-06-2016 06:52 PM