Galaxy s5 will not charge or turn on until it has set for 1/2 day off

mekanic60

Jan 17, 2017
Visit site
I have a Galaxy S5 that I noticed about a month ago that when battery died all the way and turned off it would not turn back on. I took battery out held power button for 1 min and had to plug into computer and press the volume button down to get it to boot up and now it will not do that. I have attempted the following in the past 2 weeks to get it to work:
1. I have bought a new battery. Still does same
2. I have attempted to boot up in boot mode but will not go back in it. Attempted on several different computers
3. I have tried pressing the power, home button, volume up and even volume down for 2 minutes
4. After it has sit for about 1/2 a day it will power on with just using the power button but afraid to use it if it gets restarted and will not be able to turn it back on.
5. I have attempted to delete all apps and pics manually
6. I have attempted to factory reset but after it powers off it will not turn back on manually for 1/2 day
7. Phone will not charge unless it is left alone for 1/2 a day
7. When we had snow I noticed that if I left it outside for about 30 minutes it would start charging again but would not power on and after pushing power button phone would stop charging.
Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have always had it in a defender otterbox and is only about 6 months old.
thanks

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Before you started using the replacement battery, did you make sure it was fully charged? Let it charge overnight on a wall outlet, undisturbed, and see if that works. If the replacement battery was depleted as well, it can take several hours of charging before it can sustain a boot sequence.

mekanic60

Jan 17, 2017
Visit site
Thanks B. Diddy for replying. The old battery was charged up to 99% and the new power bear replacement battery was on 66% when I first got it.