I have a Samsung S5 with Android 6.0.1 on AT&T. I have had this issue with prior releases of android on this phone, but it has gotten really annoying.

What happens is this, I call into an automated system (conference call, large PBx, whatever) and while on the call pressing the numbers on the keypad produces duplicate entries on the receiving system's end. I don't hear duplicate tones on my side, but get "incorrect entry" from the receiving system. In many cases it will repeat back what I entered and I will, for example, get one or two duplicated numbers in a 6 digit conference call ID code.

I never get duplicates while dialing a number, just once the call is in progress.

Any thoughts? Any settings buried in the phone I can tweak?

02-20-2017 11:33 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! This isn't available on all phones, but open the Phone app, tap More>Settings>Call Settings, and look for a DTMF option. If you see it, what is it set to? The options are usually None, Short, and Long. If it's set to Long, try Short.
    02-20-2017 04:49 PM
    Unfortunately No DTMF option under settings. I poked around in the options that were there (again), nothing obvious (to me). I did try a couple things in the past (before my original post) but nothing seemed to help.

I had a conference call this morning with a 10-digit ID - it took 6 tries to get it entered w/o a duplicate. And then my phone dropped the call, which it almost never does. After 3-4 more tries to get connected on the second call attempt, it again dropped the call maybe 1 minute after getting into the CC. I did this two more times before giving up and hunting down a land-line which of course worked perfectly the first try. I was ready to chuck my cell out the window, good thing they don't open.
    02-21-2017 08:12 PM
    Maybe it has to do with reception in your workplace. How many bars do you have? If you have wi-fi there, are you using wi-fi calling?
    02-21-2017 10:47 PM
    I can check bars tomorrow, not using wifi calling.
    02-22-2017 12:47 AM
    3 out of 5 "bars" on the signal strength. I don't have any problems with conversations making or receiving calls. I had another conference call today and it took 3 attempts to succeed at entering the ID number.
    02-22-2017 02:48 PM
    Next time you need to be on a conference call, try booting into Safe Mode first, to see if the problem stems from some app you installed vs a preinstalled or system app: https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-28456
    02-23-2017 12:34 AM
    Thanks! That's cool, I didn't know there was a safe mode, I will give it a try!
    B. Diddy likes this.
    02-24-2017 11:48 AM
    Unfortunately that made it worse, if it changed anything. My first CC in Safe Mode it took the CC pin the first try, which had me optimistic. But since I called early I cancelled and tried to repeat it. It took 9 more tries over 2 more calls to get a good entry without duplicates. My 2nd CC today I quit after 6 failures and used a land line. So much for Safe Mode.

I was thinking I don't ever have a problem with misdialed phone numbers, but maybe since that's between the phone and the carrier it's sent via Data and not done via DTMF?

I'm at a loss. I don't have a smart phone, I have a pocket computer with a half-baked phone function.
    02-27-2017 10:38 AM
    It's a strange issue. Do you ever experience unintentional double taps anywhere else, or only in this specific situation?

Do you have a screen protector on?
    02-28-2017 12:14 AM
    It's a strange issue. Do you ever experience unintentional double taps anywhere else, or only in this specific situation?

Do you have a screen protector on?
    I do have a screen protector but do not get duplicate screen taps with other apps, or even when direct-dialing a phone number with the phone app. The duplicate numbers do not show on the phone app but are registered by the automated systems that I call into.

It's not a screen issue, or a GUI issue, it's a phone app, DTMF, or other phone hardware issue. Even when I create a contact with the conference call phone number and PIN (with pauses in between) in the contact phone number, I still get duplicates on the receiving system.
    03-25-2017 03:38 PM
    What if you turn off keypad tones? http://forums.androidcentral.com/ver...ble-press.html
    03-25-2017 05:20 PM