Canadian Variants Getting Updates

can3gxw

Trusted Member
Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
It's been about 9 months but Canada is starting to see a round of updates this month (SM-G900W8). The first rolled out on March 5 to Rogers, Videotron, Fido and Mobilicity. Changelist 10710752 with the February 2017 security updates.

Now we just wait for the rest (Telus, Bell, Virgin, Koodo) to release theirs... *sigh* it really doesn't have to be this hard...

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
The fact that these have been released piecemeal as opposed to the usual across-the-board update, indicates which carriers are dragging their heels or are reluctant to offer updates on the S5, G900W8, model.

can3gxw

Trusted Member
Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
The US are getting their security updates very regularly because their carriers were legislated to do so. Our CRTC won't get involved and mandate the updates so why would the carriers "spend all that time" on old devices when they can fleece their customers with new phones?

Sam_Gs7

May 27, 2016
Visit site
All right! At least they started to Roll In the expected new version
in Rogers.com, BUT Nobody confirms if the Update correspond
to the Nougat.? I'm with Telus and my Claim on these

Updates is that: Why some carriers get it first and
Telus and Bell keep silent..Not offer any news
on when this Update will be launched

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
All right! At least they started to Roll In the expected new version
in Rogers.com, BUT Nobody confirms if the Update correspond
to the Nougat.? I'm with Telus and my Claim on these

Updates is that: Why some carriers get it first and
Telus and Bell keep silent..Not offer any news
on when this Update will be launched

The Galaxy S5 will NOT be receiving Android 7, Nougat. Android 6.0.1, Marshmallow, is the end of the road for official updates. On the plus side, it is good to see that it is quite a sizeable actual firmware update and not merely just a security patch release. As can3gxw points out in post #1, the changelist for Canada is #10710752. Compare this to, say, the latest changelist # for Verizon at #8025411 or T-Mobile (USA) on #7500527 and you can see that the Canadians are receiving much more up-to-date firmware with newer bugfixes and enhancements.

rokemsokem

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
YAY!!!

I just got an OTA update notification on my FIDO branded model. I live in the United States, however.

Updating now.....347mb, I think

Sam_Gs7

May 27, 2016
Visit site
Thx @ironass : But I don't own a S5 my current phone is a SGs7..weird
'Cause the member "can3gxw" it has
Reported that--There's an update
Available for S5 on -Wind Mobile-
So let's clarify for the records

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site

The update, G900W8VLU1DQB2, is for Android 6.0.1, Marshmallow, as per post #5. ;)

can3gxw

Trusted Member
Nov 1, 2010
Visit site

Why would we be talking about any updates for the SGS7 in the forum clearly labelled as "Samsung Galaxy S5"?

can3gxw

Trusted Member
Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Sasktel has also pushed out their update. To the Galaxy S5, SM-G900W8, [FONT=&quot]G900W8VLU1DQB2, Changelist [/FONT][FONT=&quot]10710752.

Android 6.0.1

This is not for the SG7. That would be listed in a different forum. Just so we are all clear here.[/FONT]

rokemsokem

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
Anyone know how to disable that popup every time I plug my phone into the computer about allowing access to the device? I was a able to disable it after last update but now I can't disable it. It used to just automatically open the phone on my computer but so i could look at its contents but now i have to push alloweaccess every time. Annoying..

rokemsokem

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
Nevermind. Disregard the previous question. I figured it out again. I was trying to change it in the developer options settings and you have to change it in the notification bar instead. Then it sets to default and never asks you for access permission again.

can3gxw

Trusted Member
Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Newest updates for Telus, Koodo, and Eastlink are now live as well. That should almost be it....

I would be very surprised if we received any more updates after this one. This update actually surprised me.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc