Screen turn on and off while charging. How do I stop iy?

anon(10189432)

Mar 12, 2017
Visit site
Hi all,

Just purchased a new S5. Yes I know that its an older model, but the price was right! Purchased brand new in original box ect from reputable seller off ebay. Before taking it in to verizon today to get new sim card and plan change I made sure to charge it up fully. Everything went fine I think. Sim card placed and new data plan in full swing. Trying to charge phone tonight and the phones screen keeps flashing on and off while its charging. I spent some time googling for an answer (found a few on this forum) and have tried turning off all apps not needed, going to developer mode and making sure daydream is off as well as stay awake not selected. Tried battery doctor app as well as pulling battery out and putting it back after a few minutes. I am also using the original samsung charger and not an after market one. Screen going on and off so much phone not really charging. Any suggestions/help would be appreciated! Oh and I am totally a non techie chick so any answers in simple terms..lol... much appreciated. Thanks! If its helpful I believe it is running android version 6.0.1. Also, when I charged it the first time before going to verizon, it was turned off so I cant honestly say for sure that this issue wasnt present prior.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Hi all,

Just purchased a new S5. Yes I know that its an older model, but the price was right! Purchased brand new in original box ect from reputable seller off ebay. Before taking it in to verizon today to get new sim card and plan change I made sure to charge it up fully. Everything went fine I think. Sim card placed and new data plan in full swing. Trying to charge phone tonight and the phones screen keeps flashing on and off while its charging. I spent some time googling for an answer (found a few on this forum) and have tried turning off all apps not needed, going to developer mode and making sure daydream is off as well as stay awake not selected. Tried battery doctor app as well as pulling battery out and putting it back after a few minutes. I am also using the original samsung charger and not an after market one. Screen going on and off so much phone not really charging. Any suggestions/help would be appreciated! Oh and I am totally a non techie chick so any answers in simple terms..lol... much appreciated. Thanks! If its helpful I believe it is running android version 6.0.1. Also, when I charged it the first time before going to verizon, it was turned off so I cant honestly say for sure that this issue wasnt present prior.

Hello and welcome to Android Central constroy1!

Could you remove the battery and make a note of your phone's, "Model number", which will be something like SM-G900*, and post it on here as there are 42 different models of Samsung Galaxy S5.

anon(10189432)

Mar 12, 2017
Visit site
Yes of course. The model number is SM-G900V. I also turned it off all night and left it plugged in to see what would happen. The charging notice came on and it appeared it was charging, but I only gained about 2%. It also did a system update when I turned it on this morning of some software. Unfortunately the update drained battery quiet a bit more. (I dont know if it will help but software updated to G900VVRU2DPG2). Would getting an additional battery and using an external battery charger so I can just charge outside of the phone be beneficial?

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Yes of course. The model number is SM-G900V. I also turned it off all night and left it plugged in to see what would happen. The charging notice came on and it appeared it was charging, but I only gained about 2%. It also did a system update when I turned it on this morning of some software. Unfortunately the update drained battery quiet a bit more. (I dont know if it will help but software updated to G900VVRU2DPG2). Would getting an additional battery and using an external battery charger so I can just charge outside of the phone be beneficial?

Draining the battery on an update is to be expected. I always recommend charging a phone up to at least 60% at least before an update... preferably to 100%. Update G900VVRU2DPG2 is 5 updates old and is from 17th OCT: 2016. The latest is G900VVRS2DQB2 from the 13th FEB: 2017. Since your phone is new, your battery and charger should be fine but your phone will be running through the updates and downloading and installing them which can easily drain 50% of battery. I would be inclined to leave your phone on charge until it catches up with the latest update.

anon(10189432)

Mar 12, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for the tip. Right now I cant even get the phone to charge. It started around 90% out of the box. Its down to 40% and wont charge. Thinking about getting a new battery and maybe an external battery charger because of the phone going on and off while its trying to charge. Even though its a new G5 and battery maybe the battery has sat around too long and wont charge. I suppose by getting an external charger I can bypass the whole charging in phone and having the screen flash on and off while charging or the screen just staying on.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the tip. Right now I cant even get the phone to charge. It started around 90% out of the box. Its down to 40% and wont charge. Thinking about getting a new battery and maybe an external battery charger because of the phone going on and off while its trying to charge. Even though its a new G5 and battery maybe the battery has sat around too long and wont charge. I suppose by getting an external charger I can bypass the whole charging in phone and having the screen flash on and off while charging or the screen just staying on.

As it is supposedly a, "new", phone from eBay, then the battery should still be fine. I might be inclined, if it is not charging whatsoever, to return it and seek a refund. You would be free then to get another Galaxy S5 which in my opinion, is an excellent phone.

anon(10189432)

Mar 12, 2017
Visit site
I actually just contacted the seller! They are going to issue 100% refund plus pay shipping back and send new phone. I took it into a very grumpy sales rep at local verizon store and he said that the charging port in the phone is shot. Someone needed to give that man a happy pill... or a happy something else..... some people...jeez. Thanks again ironass and glad to hear the S5 is a good phone! Would you recommend doing all updates on the s5? I have seen some issues with those on that phone since it is older model. But I suppose it's hit and miss with any phone.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
That's good that you are getting a replacement. Yes, I would recommend updating as the updates not only include bugfixes and enhancements but also, security updates to close off malware exploits and attacks.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FarajWala800