Email problem

IBMJunkman

May 10, 2014
Visit site
Mail problem I do not understand. Mail account is a POP3 hosted by GoDaddy. My Galaxy S5 is set to not delete from the server. My iPad is also set to not delete emails. Outlook on my PC is set to delete when it downloads.

When I run Outlook the mails in the Inbox on the S5 disappear. On the iPad they do not.

The S5 is not acting like a POP3 device. Anyway to fix this? I can't find a POP3/IMAP setting on the S5.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Open the Email app, tap Menu>Settings, select the account, then look for the option to edit the account's settings manually. It should tell you there if the server is POP3 or IMAP.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I can't explain why the emails are disappearing on your phone. Do you need to use POP3 on it? IMAP is generally more powerful.

IBMJunkman

May 10, 2014
Visit site
My neighbor uses IMAP. She is constantly complaining about sync problems with her phone and laptop. She clears her Outlook Inbox on the laptop and days later the Inbox on the GoDaddy server still has the emails in it.

I keep all my email. I don't want it on a server. I prefer it on my PC where it gets backed up every time I turn off the PC.

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
My neighbor uses IMAP. She is constantly complaining about sync problems with her phone and laptop. She clears her Outlook Inbox on the laptop and days later the Inbox on the GoDaddy server still has the emails in it.

I keep all my email. I don't want it on a server. I prefer it on my PC where it gets backed up every time I turn off the PC.

If your neighbor is having IMAP issues and that's why you prefer POP keep in mind that her issues are clearly tied to something not configured properly on her end. Generally IMAP gives you more functionality and provides you with more options to manage your mail, basically whatever you can do with POP you can do with IMAP but more. POP is fine with a more basic mail server-to-single email client situation but once you have multiple email clients you should switch to IMAP
To stay with POP you need to configure your mail service account settings in careful coordination with each mail client you're using, otherwise one will tend to create quirky errors with the others.
IMAP vs POP3
Getting back to your problem on your S5, check your settings in your Outlook mail app -- as far as that pop.secureserver.net setting is it using port 110?
GoDaddy's email setup page has some useful tips:
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...lp%2Fandroid-set-up-email-4906&token=0a4sxUlx

IBMJunkman

May 10, 2014
Visit site
I want to store all my emails off my providers server. Just because I download to my PC does not mean I want them off my phone or iPad. IMAP will delete them from those devices when they are deleted from the server when Outlook on the PC downloads/deletes them. I don't want that syncing. I will clean my phone and iPad when I want.

Phone and iPad are set to NOT delete emails when they retrieve from server. And that works just fine.
Outlook on PC is using port 110 incoming and 80 outgoing.

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
When I run Outlook the mails in the Inbox on the S5 disappear. On the iPad they do not.
I'm assuming by your phrasing that you're referring to the Outlook mail app on your S5 but if I'm mistaken my apologies. If you're using the default email app on your S5 I'd strongly recommend you use either the Outlook app or a third-party email app like K-9 Mail, AquaMail. BlueMail, or any other of the much, much more extensive email apps instead. The S5 default email app works well for simple setups but once you require anything more it doesn't hold up well. As you don't want your emails deleted off the server using your S5, use an email app that allows you enable/disable that aspect.

IBMJunkman

May 10, 2014
Visit site
The default email app on the S5 works fine in that it leaves the emails on the server. The problem is if I delete the mail from the server via Outlook on the PC it gets removed from the Inbox on the S5. On the iPad it does not.

I will look at the apps you listed.

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
The default email app on the S5 works fine in that it leaves the emails on the server. The problem is if I delete the mail from the server via Outlook on the PC it gets removed from the Inbox on the S5. On the iPad it does not.

I will look at the apps you listed.
That's an aspect where IMAP will let you set your PC-Outlook, iPad-email app, S5-email app can be configured in conjunction with each other.
But even if you stick with POP and its limitations, you just need a better email client, one that allows you to NOT sync server deletions.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma