Galaxy S5, one headphone not playing sound

inwe-meneldur

Jun 28, 2017
Visit site
This morning on the tram the headphones were working perfectly, they were playing my music through both earpieces, and nothing sounded odd. About half an hour later, I plugged the headphones in again and started to listen to my music again and it was playing... for about 30 seconds before there was a loud static crack in my right ear and the right earphone cut out altogether, with the left earphone still working perfectly fine.

I've checked with the same pair of headphones and the same cord using my laptop, and they still work completely fine, I've checked using a different AUX cord in my phone with the same headphones, and again with a friend's headphones, and the right ear still wasn't working for both of them. I've inspected my headphones jack using a torch and there doesn't appear to be any dirt or anything else that might be causing this (I've had a similar problem before with distorted audio in the left ear that was fixed by cleaning out my jack, but not an issue with audio cutting out entirely). I've also restarted my phone a couple of times and it's still not working.

I decided to try yet again to see if I could fix it, and after wiggling the jack in different positions for a bit, the sound worked again for a split second before returning to complete silence in my right ear.

My phone is less than two years old and was bought new; I'm pretty sure that it should still covered by warranty (something else I'm struggling to find out if anyone knows how long s5 warranty lasts) However, I'm in a situation where I need my phone on a daily basis and can't send it out to be fixed under warranty.

What is the issue most likely to be, and what is the quickest (and preferably cheapest) way I can try to fix my jack?

anon(9602380)

Jan 7, 2016
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central.

It has to be either dirt in the headphone port. I suggest trying a can of liquid air and a wooden toothpick. Be gentle putting the toothpick in the port to see if there Is dirt in the port you couldn't see.

If that doesn't work then I think your headphone port may need to be repaired. Thanks.

can3gxw

Trusted Member
Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Unless you purchase additional, extended insurance, the warranty on most smartphones (the Galaxy S5 included) is only one year. You're most likely out of luck. On the bright side, repairing an S5 is pretty straightforward for a shop/someone that repairs phones so the cost to replace your headphone jack should be low.

Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome