Well, I almost upgraded my faithful Galaxy S5 to a Note 8. My biggest gripe with all the current batch of flagship Android phones is the rear fingerprint sensor. Coming from a front sensor I just don't see a rear one as being convenient. I think if the Note 8 had a rear sensor the same as LG, Pixel etc, I would have seriously considered it. But a smallish rectangular one high up offset next to the flash-kind of a deal breaker.

All the current rumours say the S9 will not have an embedded sensor but another rear one. But one like all the other Android phones, i.e., in the middle of the back, lower down. Apparently the Note 9 will get the embedded scanner. So I am hoping my 3y old S5 will hold out to then. And besides, even if the S9 does get an embedded scanner, I really want to try a Note device.

Anyone else seriously considered upgrading their S5 this year but pulled the plug? What did you consider upgrading to and why did you opt out?
    09-03-2017 05:10 AM
    I didn't opt out and actually replaced my much loved S5 and went for the S8+. No regrets here, the placing of the fingerprint sensor proved no problem at all. As much as I loved my S5, the S8+ really is a great improvement.
    09-03-2017 05:19 AM
    Well, for what it's worth, I don't like the placement on my S8, but the rest of the device more than makes up for that shortcoming...
    09-03-2017 05:21 AM
    After 7 years of running a Samsung phone (Galaxy S, S3, S5), I replaced mine with a Pixel XL. The fingerprint sensor on the back of the phone makes the most sense because that's where most people's index finger just rests naturally when the phone is picked up. The fingerprint sensor on the home key was very inconvenient and did not work 100% of the time. If your finger/thumb was a little bit wet, it didn't work. If your phone was upside down or sideways, it didn't work. The rear fingerprint scanners work no matter what direction you place your finger on. Oh - and yes - "place your finger" - not the S5's required "swipe your finger down the button". I liked the fingerprint reader on the S5, don't get me wrong. I LOVE the fingerprint sensor on the Pixel. It works. 100% of the time.
    09-03-2017 01:32 PM
    After 7 years of running a Samsung phone (Galaxy S, S3, S5), I replaced mine with a Pixel XL. The fingerprint sensor on the back of the phone makes the most sense because that's where most people's index finger just rests naturally when the phone is picked up. The fingerprint sensor on the home key was very inconvenient and did not work 100% of the time. If your finger/thumb was a little bit wet, it didn't work. If your phone was upside down or sideways, it didn't work. The rear fingerprint scanners work no matter what direction you place your finger on. Oh - and yes - "place your finger" - not the S5's required "swipe your finger down the button". I liked the fingerprint reader on the S5, don't get me wrong. I LOVE the fingerprint sensor on the Pixel. It works. 100% of the time.
    Interesting. Something for me to think about. If the Note 8 had a regular rear fingerprint scanner I would have seriously considered it. But that small, odd offset scanner really irks me.

A bit of a shame as the new Note is awesome and the dual cameras and 6 GB ram is icing on the cake.

But any new phone I get will be kept for at least 3 yrs. I don't want 3 yrs of unlocking inconveniently. I would rather wait till end of next year and get exactly what I want. I know the iris scanner works well, but I wear glasses and I don't think an iris scanner is convenient enough to replace the fingerprint scanner.
    09-03-2017 04:00 PM