S5 - Reset Backup Password

C Asks

Sep 3, 2017
Visit site
I currently have my S5 secured by fingerprints and a backup password. My fingerprints work fine, but I forgot my backup passord. I've tried to solve this issue by deleting my registered fingerprints, but a pop up appears and phone wont allow it. How can I reset my backup password without having to reset everything?

Thank you in advance for any and all help!

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! The phone should still be asking you for your backup password/PIN periodically, for extra security, even if the fingerprint sensor is working normally (e.g., if you reboot the phone). Is that not happening?

C Asks

Sep 3, 2017
Visit site
No, the phone isn't asking for any pins or backup passwords. I've been doing well using only my fingerprints for now.

jljecj

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
Restart phone. When it asks for password select forgot password. If you S5 doesn't utilize this feature you will have to factory reset. Mine is a Verizon branded S5.

Last edited:

C Asks

Sep 3, 2017
Visit site
Thank you for the advice! I dont knw if this makes a difference, but mine is an At&t phone. I'll take it to the At&t store today.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Here's how to do a hardware key factory reset: https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-28449. Keep in mind, though, that with Factory Reset Protection in effect, the phone will ask you for the Google account and password associated with the phone -- hopefully you remember that!