Transferring large numbers of files to PC

Dylan Cotter

Sep 22, 2017
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I'm in a situation where I have a number of Samsung Galaxy S5s, each being used to take thousands of photos over the course of months. A few devices have come back to me with their storage memory full and I need to transfer upwards of ~25,000 photos off these phones as each photo must be stored locally as a backup. All of these images are stored in a single folder (Which in hindsight is not a great idea) and as a result I'm not able to transfer them off on a Win 7 desktop PC as either:
  • Windows Explorer crashes trying to open the folder on the phone
  • the folder itself doesn't load files and is 'empty' if I try to transfer the root folder
  • or I >sometimes< receive the 'data type is not supported' error mid-transfer, cancelling it

This is all done by USB.

I have a 4gb SD available but the native Gallery app only allows you to select either individual photos or all photos and I don't particularly want to tap on each photo to select them. Google Photos allows you to select many photos but does not allow you to transfer to SD as far as I can tell. Transferring to SD to transfer to the PC is also not a great solution as I'll be doing this with over a dozen phones and constantly switching out SD cards for 4gb/12gbs of photos is a painfully long process.

Has anyone run into the same problem? Does anyone have any ideas?

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
The S5 supports USBOTG. Plug a flash drive into the phone, transfer to that, then transfer to PC.

Alternatively you can try Sidesync either via cord or wirelessly. The phone screen will appear on the PCmonitor, and you can drag the folder out of the phone screen to the PC to copy. If done wirelessly, this can be seen as sending via WiFi direct, so the PC is just a recipient without having the process anything.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad