Move Files to SD Card

Lolerskates84

Jan 10, 2018
Visit site
Hi. I'm having a hard time moving pictures to my SD card. I've had the card for a while and I am pretty sure it is not corrupt, as I've saved files on there before. I've just never tried moving files from the S5 from the device to the SD card. I recently set the camera to save photos on the SD card by default and that works fine. I also bought a new card to try and still can't get files to move over.

I've followed instructions - go to my files > device storage > DCIM then select the photos (I selected 3 individual photos) select copy or move (I tried both), then select SD card, create a new folder and paste or move. When I hit "paste" or "move" nothing happens. No error. The screen just takes me back to My files and the folder remains empty.

Any thoughts on why I can't move my files?

Thank you!

Aithan

Dec 7, 2017
Visit site
Some troubleshooting ideas for the #SD card if you haven't tried them already:

1) Connect your phone to your PC or Mac and:

a) Check to see if the SD card is on Read-Only. (if it is, this will prevent files from being saved/written onto the card)

b) Try to move the files using copy and paste. (if you can't, then this points to the SD card. if you can and the files stay put and don't move anywhere, then it's likely a phone issue.)

2) If you're on Windows on your PC, I would use the Command Prompt (use Administrator privileges) to do what's called a
Code:
chkdsk
on your SD card if you haven't already. Or, if you're using a Mac, perform the similar function.

#chkdsk will check your SD card(s) for most errors and if possible, will try to correct them if you tell it to. If there are errors, period, then this points to an SD card problem. If there are errors and they can be fixed, then try moving files after fixing and see what happens.

3) Double check to see if any and all settings related to saving to the SD card might have changed.

Were there any new apps downloaded and/or was there any update to apps that might have triggered this problem? Was there a system-related update? Etc.

4) Lastly, are there any issues with your timezone? Did you travel recently and change timezones?

This is longshot question that most people would say no to but:

I actually managed to corrupt my SD card in another mobile device because there was a conflict in #timezone during traveling which produced a conflict in the #timestamp . My things would save, move, etc., only to instantly NOT move, save, etc. This created errors until finally, my SD card corrupted.

I eventually was able to salvage everything to my PC and thankfully, OneDrive / cloud storage caught everything, but the SD card was a goner.

Lolerskates84

Jan 10, 2018
Visit site
Thanks much for your feedback, I really appreciate it.

1. That is a problem bc my PC does not recognize my phone when I connect to it. Never has and I've tried 3 laptops and none recognize the phone. It charges it though when connected. I've tried Kies in the past with my S3 and was never able to get it to work so didn't try with the S5. I'll see if maybe that helps my PC recognize my phone (?)

2. Same as above - the PC needs to recognize the phone to do this, correct?

3. The only setting I manually changed was the camera storage. I set it to store pics on the SD card recently and it's been doing that successfully.
As for updates - I don't know if anything has triggered an issue. I did a spot check and all looks normal. I can't update anything right now bc there is not enough space so it's been a while since I've updated anything. I downloaded a couple new aps but then deleted them immediately bc of the space issue.

4. Actually I do travel a lot and switch times zones a couple times a month. However, since i can save pictures on the SD card, wouldn't that mean the SD card is ok?

Some troubleshooting ideas for the #SD card if you haven't tried them already:

1) Connect your phone to your PC or Mac and:

a) Check to see if the SD card is on Read-Only. (if it is, this will prevent files from being saved/written onto the card)

b) Try to move the files using copy and paste. (if you can't, then this points to the SD card. if you can and the files stay put and don't move anywhere, then it's likely a phone issue.)

2) If you're on Windows on your PC, I would use the Command Prompt (use Administrator privileges) to do what's called a
Code:
chkdsk
on your SD card if you haven't already. Or, if you're using a Mac, perform the similar function.

#chkdsk will check your SD card(s) for most errors and if possible, will try to correct them if you tell it to. If there are errors, period, then this points to an SD card problem. If there are errors and they can be fixed, then try moving files after fixing and see what happens.

3) Double check to see if any and all settings related to saving to the SD card might have changed.

Were there any new apps downloaded and/or was there any update to apps that might have triggered this problem? Was there a system-related update? Etc.

4) Lastly, are there any issues with your timezone? Did you travel recently and change timezones?

This is longshot question that most people would say no to but:

I actually managed to corrupt my SD card in another mobile device because there was a conflict in #timezone during traveling which produced a conflict in the #timestamp . My things would save, move, etc., only to instantly NOT move, save, etc. This created errors until finally, my SD card corrupted.

I eventually was able to salvage everything to my PC and thankfully, OneDrive / cloud storage caught everything, but the SD card was a goner.

Lolerskates84

Jan 10, 2018
Visit site
1. Yeah Kies isn't helping. It says to connect to MTP mode but when I connect via usb I don't get the connection notification to adjust it to MTP mode. It charges though. And my computer doesn't recognize a new device either. I tried plugging it into a couple different USB ports and no difference. I checked the status under Developer Options and MTP is checked off. This is probably an issue for a seperate post, but just thought I'd add it in. Screenshot_2018-01-10-09-55-16.jpgScreenshot_2018-01-10-09-57-55.jpg

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital