Can I use my SD card as internal storage on Samsung S5?

detfootball1

Jan 20, 2018
Visit site
Is there a way I can have the apps automatically download to the sd card, on my Samsung s5? I know you can move them after installing them to the sd card, but whenever I do this, it seems like its using up my internal space also. Any input would help.

Thanks.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
No, Samsung doesn't implement internal SD.

And the reason "moving apps" to the SD card doesn't free up much internal space is that apps get moved in little pieces ans, for each piece moved, a link has to be left in internal storage, so Android knows where to find it. When the pieces get to be the same size as a link (which is happening a lot these days), you don't save any space.

Put your files on the SD card and your apps in internal storage. With phones coming in 128GB internal storage, there's no reason you should be running out of space.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
In addition to the questionable space saving, SD cards are slower and more prone to corruption than the internal storage. So moving those apps can slow down performance, and a corrupted SD card means you'd lose the ability to use those apps at all until it's replaced and those apps reinstalled (and hopefully left on internal storage.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Conrad Edmund