Why are you still rocking an S5? Has anyone commented?

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I was wondering why you all are still rocking an S5, and have you had comments about this phone released all the way back in 2014? Just out of curiosity and for fun.

I've had a few comments about my "ancient" phone. For me personally, I was originally going to upgrade to the S8. What really put me off was the rear FPS placement. Then I thought Note 8. Same thing. And I really got hung up on the FPS and hanging out for an in screen FPS.

And now as time progresses, I have this weird, almost perverse pride in seeing how long I can make my beloved S5 last. Only a month ago I thought, "S10" as surely the in screen FPS will be available. And all the rumours said the Note 9 will definitely not have an in screen fingerprint reader.

So I just replaced my battery on my S5 as battery life recently had been TERRIBLE and I thought I can't handle this for another year. And now all the latest rumours are the Note 9 may debut the in screen fingerprint reader.

Awesome! Quite the first world conundrum for me if that does happen. Do I pass that phone up with the feature I've been hanging out for just because I bought a fresh battery for my ancient phone or hang out for the S10?

So what say you? What's your story? Are you twisted like me or do you have a more sane tale?

experiment 626

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I've had my Electric Blue S5 for 3 years. Looks just like brand new, with the exception of the charging port cover which broke off after about a year. So easy to find a case and , more importantly , a tempered glass screen protector that fits properly.
Plus, I still have an IR blaster which comes in handy.
The S5 camera and video capabilities are still very good in good lighting /daylight environments. Obviously the camera isn't flagship level for low-light shooting but that's to be expected on a four generation old device.
My biggest wall I've hit is the lack of internal memory. 16GB by today's standards just doesn't cut it with the size of today's apps. Fortunately, being a BlackBerry user for 5 yrs before my S5 trained me on how to run a lean phone.
I want , and need , to upgrade soon but I just hate the curved screen-glass back phones that Samsung has decided to embrace. But the S9's screen and camera are just so good. And camera capabilities are one of the most important features to me.

BobLad

May 17, 2015
Visit site
I see no compelling reason to upgrade. I only upgraded to the S5 to be able to pay with my S3 watch. The S9 has only one "pro" for me - the faster chip. There are some "cons." It's a fingerprint magnet (I hate that), which the S5 is not. It's all glass and easy to break. After four years with my S5, it still looks brand-new, and I never use a case. Newer Samsung phones don't have removable batteries. I know there are other improvements in the S9 (faster charging, bigger screen, "always on," etc.), but I don't find them that enticing.

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
S5 owner since the beginning. AS FAR AS I AM CONCERNED, there is no reason to upgrade. More storage would be nice, but not required.

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
S5 owner since the beginning. AS FAR AS I AM CONCERNED, there is no reason to upgrade. More storage would be nice, but not required.

Yeah I hear you. I looked at all the specs of the S7 through to the just released S9 and to be honest, nothing motivated me greatly. All the latest and greatest features I look forward to eventually receiving, I'm just not motivated at the moment to replace my trusty S5 to get those.

I'm not saying I'm not enticed by any of the latest features. The Bluetooth 5.0 of the S8 interested me A LOT as I have a stereo and a Samsung sound bar and I'd love to hear music through both of them cast through Bluetooth at the same time.

And Bixby intrigues me. But the feature I REALLY wanted was the on-screen FPS. Either that or a really good face scanner like the Apple X. But my preference is still fingerprint.

And as I said, now the latest rumours are that the Note 9 will have a good chance of debuting the on-screen FPS. And a 3850 mah battery to boot! If that happens I'll certainly get it.

Apart from those features, I do look forward to a much faster, snappier phone thanks to the greatly improved processors and triple the RAM and at least triple the storage.

Happy days.

Last edited:

Kelvets

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
No, why would I? What's the problem with an "old" phone if it serves all your needs perfectly? It speaks a lot about our vain, shallow society if people will pick on you just for owning a possession that's 4 years old even though it still looks gorgeous like any other modern phone!

Not only is phone manufacturing an environmental tragedy, but phone construction employs a lot of rare metals that are dwindling rapidly. Due to people's irrational craze in upgrading whenever they can, we'll soon have no phone at all because indium, platinum, gallium etc. will have run out. Please don't contribute to this. Nature and humanity as a whole thank you.

gatsbysuk

Apr 5, 2018
Visit site
Yes Still S5 User & My wife... My main problem was battery life but purchased at least 5 batteries and ALL were crap, Ended up buying 2 Duracell Galaxy S5 batteries and they are really good... Only problem now is the Bloatware i guess sent via Samsung software updates that have really slowed mine down, Obviously an attempt to get me to part with mine but i don't want to and can't afford to at present.
My sons have Galaxy S8+ and even my little daughter has S7 edge courtesy of me and i am impressed with them but the bloatware issues on the S5 have put me off buying Samsung again for myself.

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
No, why would I? What's the problem with an "old" phone if it serves all your needs perfectly? It speaks a lot about our vain, shallow society if people will pick on you just for owning a possession that's 4 years old even though it still looks gorgeous like any other modern phone!

Lol, I think you need to calm down a bit and give me and everyone around here a bit of credit. Firstly, it's not very common for people today to stretch out a flagship smartphone to 4 years, so how about easing off the criticism. Many people today do the typical changeover at 2 years in accordance with the typical phone contract, and I have work colleagues that change every year. So give me some credit for hanging onto my S5 for what will be at least 4 years, assuming I get the Note 9-it's not a given.

I am not shallow or vacuous and when I do eventually upgrade, it won't be because society is picking on me. Lol, what a ridiculous statement. Yes, my S5 looks like new and everything technically works, but to say it "performs perfectly" is another ridiculous statement. Even with a new genuine Samsung battery, the battery life is ordinary. The general performance is slow nowadays.

For e.g., I open up YouTube and 5 secs later, there it is. The same with most applications. Photos taken outdoors are superb. Photos taken indoors, even in good lighting, are noisy, and in low light are terrible. When I am working physically and my fingertips are worn, the fingerprint reader is useless.

And then there are some new features I would like to have. No, I don't care for the 3D emoji but it would be nice to try out Bixby or the F1.5 low light camera. And I have a Samsung sound bar and a good Panasonic stereo and would love to play music through both at the same time with the new Bluetooth 5.0. Which even the Apple X can't do. It'll connect to 2 devices at once but it can't play them 2 at once. Typical Apple.

So please settle down a bit. I will upgrade when I want to, not when you or society tells me, and I do it purely for my own reasons. My next phone I may keep for another 4 years or more, or maybe next time I will upgrade at 2 years like a lot of others. My choice. However the wind blows. Nothing vacuous, just whatever floats my boat.

You also have to let people be people. I'm with you on this-the ridiculousness of people changing their phone every year. Certainly in most cases, features don't change that much. But you know, we're human and not everything we do has a cold logic to it. As a personal example, I am looking to get my first ever Omega watch next year. There's no real logic to that, I've always loved Omega and thought this year, "what the heck". Sure, I stretch out my phone to 4, possibly 5 years but then want to get a high quality Swiss watch when I already have a couple of watches.

I bet if I peer into your life I find things not done purely out of practicality or necessity.

Last edited:

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
be contented of what you have..

I am...........for the moment, otherwise I wouldn't be persisting with a nearly 4 yr old phone. But after so many years, the features, advances and spec differences become ENORMOUS. Eventually to the point where even if your trusty S5 is still running perfectly you'll want to upgrade.

Things like;

16 GB to 64/128/256 GB storage.
2 GB to 6 GB RAM.
Under glass fps/face/iris scanner
Bixby
Almost 1000 fps slow mo camera
Bluetooth play 2 devices at same time
F2.4 to F1.5 low light camera
Features of Android O,P etc.
Overall performance/speed of phone
Etc etc etc.

At some point, most of us will want some of these new advances and features. I personally am hanging out for the S10 because I believe just like the Apple X (10), Samsung will also go all out for the 10th anniversary of Galaxy phone.

Last edited:

BobLad

May 17, 2015
Visit site
I, too, am waiting for the S10. I hope they do go all out with that phone. I'll definitely be getting it unless there's some deal breaker or my S5 dies before the 10 is available (ugh).

Moni Mihailov

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
I bought the S5 in early 2015 so it's been 3.5 years with me until now. Am planning to keep it until early 2020 and get the Note 10 around 5-6 months after it gets released as the price will have dropped and xda will be full of nice mods for it. Sooo, I guess I'll stick around with my S5 for 5 years. I love the Note9 but still want an in-display fingerprint sensor and, you know, the Note 10 will be superb as it'll be the anniversary Note. :) Time to start saving money from now lol

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
.........I love the Note9 but still want an in-display fingerprint sensor and, you know, the Note 10 will be superb as it'll be the anniversary Note. :) Time to start saving money from now lol

Lol, this was me exactly before!!! I had my head set on the in display fingerprint reader and I was obsessed with it.

Well, nice to come back here for a chat. I've had my Note 9 for a couple of weeks now and absolutely LOVE IT! I would say to my my former self, "Forget about the in display fingerprint sensor".

The rear sensor on the Note 9 works fantastic, super fast and conveniently placed. Plus you can pull down quick notifications on it by swiping down, a feature I use all the time. And if you enable Samsung Pay, you can launch that by swiping up on the reader. Honestly, from someone who was hanging out for the in display fingerprint reader I say don't not consider the Note 9 just for that. The one on the Note 9 is first rate. You won't be disappointed.