I've been noticing lately that battery life has been terrible, much worse than only half a year ago (disclaimer: this is a subjective impression not backed up by actual data). The phone won't even last through 2 hours of Waze GPS'ing on near-minimum screen brightness.

Here's data from Gsam Battery Monitor after leaving it idling for almost 8 hours, Wi-Fi off, Mobile Data on, Location off.

The S5 is consuming 35% battery per 8 hours on idle. Is this normal?-screenshot_2018-04-05-08-50-58.jpg

The S5 is consuming 35% battery per 8 hours on idle. Is this normal?-screenshot_2018-04-05-08-51-53.jpg

Notice how Wi-Fi is responsible for 13% of the consumption despite being off, and how the Android OS itself is responsible for the majority of consumption. Is this normal? Do you think getting an S5 battery with a recent fabrication date would ease this problem?

P.S: For obvious reasons, there have been no recent Android software upgrades.
    04-05-2018 07:12 AM
    I can verify this as it has happened to me also. The Android OS being responsible for the majority of battery usage is unfortunately normal. The Wi-Fi usage is not and if you want to keep the S5 longer you will need to buy another genuine Samsung battery.

I do warn you though. Even with a perfect battery, the now 4 yr old S5 will still have fairly average battery life. If you are thinking of soon getting another phone obviously then don't bother. But I do tell you this as a heads up.
    04-05-2018 06:07 PM
    Thank you for your reply.

A quick Google search revealed that the dex2oat process that was the third most-consuming app was related to Google Store's updating of apps; so I updated all apps and restarted the device, and last night the phone consumed less than 10% battery in the same 8 hours. I hope it's fixed now!

"I do warn you though. Even with a perfect battery, the now 4 yr old S5 will still have fairly average battery life."

Why is that so? If the battery is perfect, it means it is like when the phone was first released, so if the battery life was good back then, it should be good now with the new battery. Surely the phone is not consuming a lot more battery just because it's physically older?
    04-06-2018 02:45 PM