Hiya! I've been having some problems with my Samsung Galaxy S5 Neo. I've had it for close to two years, and for at least six months, I have been having the problems of my phone overheating, randomly turning off, locking up when I touch it (occasionally) and having absolutely no space.

I barely have any apps, all my music and photos are on my SD card, and yet my storage is always pretty much full. At the moment I have just over 600MB, but for some reason every couple of hours, I get random data and it takes up anywhere from 19 MB to 380 MB. Help!

I also don't know why it overheats, it'll be charging and when I go to look at the time or something (after not touching it for at least 30 minutes), it it literally burning my fingers. I've tried about 6 different charging cords and none of them make any change to that.

As for my phone locking up and shutting itself off, it's quite bothersome when I have like 85% battery and my phone just shuts off or locks up. I'm thinking about getting a new phone because this is just annoying.

Side note, yes I have already cleaned cashe files, I do it once or twice a week.
    06-29-2018 09:23 AM
    Welcome to the forums, and nice profile pic.

Unfortunately, I think you have more than one problem at hand. Starting with the hot charging and shutdowns, I think your battery is shot. As they age, internal resistance builds up. This makes it harder to charge, causing the excess heat (analogous to how putting more pressure on something causes it to heat up). They also can no longer handle the voltage sag that naturally happens to any battery regardless of type. When you put a load on one, the voltage will temporarily dip. On a healthy battery, this is minimal and not an issue. An aging battery can't supply the current fast enough and and the sag is more pronounced. For a Li-ion battery, when the voltage goes below a certain point, a safety feature kicks in that cuts power to prevent damage. Once the load of the phone is removed, the voltage can recover some and can appear that you have a bit of charge still.

The locking up could simply be due to the age and specs of the phone. It has 2 GB of RAM, which isn't much for a phone these days. You may be asking it to do more than it can and it is struggling to keep up. The only way to really address this is to upgrade the phone. As apps advance, they will take up more resources.

The space issue may also be due to too many things going on. You say you clear your cache about once a week. Does this actually free up the amount of space you lost? If so, then there isn't much else you can do because apps are designed to use cache to run faster and more efficiently. In this case, your only option is to uninstall some apps in hopes that the others don't begin taking up even more space (which may or may not happen, depending on how they are setup).

But to make a long story short, I think your only long term viable option is to upgrade your phone all together.
    06-29-2018 10:45 AM